Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ARGHH - Soybeans to Milo

Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ARGHH - Soybeans to Milo

Just found out the 100 acres on our property is planted in Milo (?) instead of soybeans, as it has been for the last 5 years or so. [:@]

As you know corn is hot this year, but our soil is not good for it (doesn't drain well enough, etc.), and the farmer said Milo tracks corn prices.

Here are my questions: (1) I am ignorant of the differences between Millet (sorghum) and Milo. Are they the same, and which do the deer prefer if any. I couldn't find much on the internet about this.

(2) Will the deer eat Milo? And if so, when are there preferred times they will eat it?

(3) Any strategies to deal with this or anyone dealt with similar situation?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ARGHH - Soybeans to Milo

Milo is also known as grain sorghum and grows to a maximun height of about four feet depending on variety. Sorghum is a taller. Milo is not a preferred deer food. Deer will sometimeseat milo when the seeds are gummy before they mature. Quail and pheasant love it. Hogs get into it, knock it down and eat the seed heads. This year we planted milo and cowpeas together on a couple of our places. The cowpeas climb the milo stalks and it makes for a kind of green jungle.

Maybe put out some feeders if you do not already have them.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

When they harvest milo, don't they leave the stalks? Will deer bed in the milo (do they feal safe in it)? It looks like it will be a little short for that.

What about, right after harvest, planting some iron clay peas or austrian peas? You think that would be effective?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

"What about, right after harvest, planting some iron clay peas or austrian peas? You think that would be effective?"

Not sure where you live. They will harvest the Milo about August or September in KS and OK. Not sure about the clay peas, never planted them. i planted cowpeasthis year. My Austrian winter peas never did any good.

Try planting some spike oats. They mature pretty fast andthe deer here like them better than wheat.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Spike

It's always interesting seeing how deer diets and habits are different in different parts of the country. Boy do they adapt. I'll say this, we found a milo field that was being torn up by deer. We could never find any in it. Early one morning (it rained about midnight) we were on our way to a different place and saw deer tracks right down the middle of the road. We followed them and they took us straight to the milo field which was about 2.5 miles from where the dirt road began (or ended) and the terrain went into the river bottom. Those deer had been walking that distance to get to that milo for a long time and then back again (as their tracks attested) before daylight. On they way, they passed by lots of good winter wheat (which is what they get to eat all the time). This was October/November just before they harvested the heads. After harvest, the activity dropped drastically. I guess some deer really like it at the right place in the right time of the year. You may be pleasantly surprised so don't give up. Keep checking it until later in the fall when the heads are mature and ready for harvest. I'm guessing when the time is right, the deer will let you know it.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks tycteach,

Will try to remain optimistic. Around here I am fairly certain it won't beat soybeans (you even get second growth after harvest here it is so warm), but you work with what you got, and I look foward to seeing if the deer hit it.

I think it will be harvested around September. It sometimes doesn't freeze here until late November, so any suggestions as to a secondary planting are appreciated. For now considering peas to climb stalks.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

If there is milo there will be deer,try to get them to leave some around the edges.In Kansas alot of deer bed in the standing milo and they eat it all the time.In fact while beans are great early for long term I like milo better