Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

mowing clover?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Default mowing clover?

i just planted whiter and red clover mix a few weeks back and i wondereed how oftwn i should cut it and if i should cut it at all?
thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mowing clover?

I usually mow mine before the weeds get big enough to reseed theirselves. I have mowed twice already, but we have a long growing season.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 AM

so....................???????????????????
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

so....................???????????????????
Cut it.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

With clover, you mainly have to manage the competition. For a new plot, I would want to mow the clover itself as little as possible while it is getting established so the individual plants will mature and produce seed as early as possible, but if weeds begin to overtop the clover, you either need to spray with a selective herbicide that will not harm your clover or mow just enough to release the clover from that weed competition...and before the weeds go to seed as was said earlier orthe clover'scompetition will be compounded.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM

gotcha
Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also - Most White Clovers are low growing Perennials - and Red Clover is a Tall Growing Annual biennial - though many treat it as an annual.

If the Red Clover is thick - you might find it'll dominate over white clover the 1st Year. and then be pretty thin the second year. I usually mow a clover plot 1 time in Early June - to keep any grasses from going to seed, and then I mow at least two more times - sometimes more. With White clover - I like to mow whenever the plot is more than 1/2 in bloom. It usually works out to 2-3 mowings per summer - and I only mow down enough to knock the heads off. This keeps the plot vigorous maybe a year or two longer.

Last July 14 - New Spring Planted Clover plot - before mowing:

Same Plot 1 week after mowing -

I always leave the clippings because - I'm always trying to improve the soil for the next plot.

FH
Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 PM

man that loooks like mine
do deer really go after that with such little clover?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do - but its weed control that makes the differece - you cut the weeds when they are most vulnerable - and the young clover really can and will take over a new plot - especially when competing with annual weeds like most in the picture above. Weeds always will rear their ugly heads - its how you deal with them that makes the plot.

This is the same plot in Early September this year - its about 1 acre

FH
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM

They do - but its weed control that makes the differece - you cut the weeds when they are most vulnerable - and the young clover really can and will take over a new plot

i dont understand what you mean by this?

Quick Reply: mowing clover?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.