Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Watering hole

Old 05-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Watering hole

I've though about trying this but what about mosquitoes? I've heard you can buy tablets to drop in ponds or standing water that would kill them off but not harm animals. Anyone have any experience?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to wait untill may is over so I dont mess with the turkeys. Dont know what I am going to try yet but you guys are giving me a lot of good ideas.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need to use chemicals for the mosquitos. Put a dozen goldfish (or local creek minnows) in the pond and they'll keep it clear.

Dan O.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Oh, our feral cats and the racoons would make quick work of those by morning if I built the small pond I was planning on. I can't rid of the cats because my wife likes them and they're just a couple of males and one when one racoon disappears, another steps right in to take its place.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have access to 55 gallon plastic drums. I was going to cut one on half and bury in the ground and then fill up with water, do you think the deer would use this?? I would put this close to my minerals in the shade!

There is a water source but not to close by. They have to travel a bit to get to the swamp for water!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:01 PM

BowHuntingFool, I'd bet it would if you keep it full with some rain once a week or so. I read a Field & Stream article where Ted Marum, an outfitter in Wisc. and who regularly appears in the magazine, creates artificial waterholes by burying a horse or cattle watering trough and waits for it to fill up. He claims a couple of nice bucks are shot over it each year.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is where you can have fun locating the barrel and using a collector. If you bury the barrel to ground level in a low depression that water flows in during heavy rain you can let nature help you. Dry creek beds are great. If you cover the ground with an old liner and aim this into the barrel you should be able to keep it filled with little work. I've seen plans that cover the collector with a layer of rocks to keep it in place and protect it from the sun and critters.

Dan O.