Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole? >

Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

Old 09-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

When you make shooting lanes, do you like to use big wide open lanes, or do you like little bitty dinky ones?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

I use whatever i can without resticting my cover and shot opportunities, i try to find a happy medium!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to make them bigger. I know it makes it easier for the deer to spot me but I like to have more shooting opertunities.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I use whatever i can without resticting my cover and shot opportunities, i try to find a happy medium!
Same here. You want ample clearance for the shot but at the same time you want to keep some cover to help conceal/breakup your image.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:08 AM

in the past years i have been hunting i have never cut shoting lanes and i hun in thick stuff. My thought is i have to thread the needle into the love chamber.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:22 AM

I don't make them either. My experience is if you cut it they won't come.. I just pick the holes that are there.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remember, your in the deer's living room. Think of it like this, if you came home from work one day and your front door was gone you'd probably notice it wouldn't you. It's the same for deer. They will know if you've been cutting trees down and it could change their travel habits. I've had better luck if I just trimmed up small amounts or none at all rather than making alot of cuts around my stand.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't cut lanes either. I may trim a branch or two once I'm up in the tree, if it's going to rub on my climber or interefere with my quite movement, but not for shooting.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:13 AM

I don't cut lanes I trim them. Cutting lanes isn't about clearing out the forrest. I usually trim a couple of branches that will leave me ample room to get an arrow through. I want to get a clean shot but more importantly I want to be concealed so I get a shot.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I like wide shooting lanes just because that's my preference. If you get in the woods early enough to clear lanes, the deer will eventually adapt to the environment. My buddies joke with me because I like to clear a lot of brush from my area. Never stops me from having deer come in close though.

Quick Reply: Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.