Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

LAND PROBLEM

Old 04-15-2007, 06:57 AM

Default LAND PROBLEM

Ihave a question i hope someone can answear for me .I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A 36 ACRE PARCEL OF LAND IN ALBANY CO. NEW YORK. THE LAND IS LOCATED AND BOUDED BY A MEDIAM SIZE CREEK BED , WHEN THE CREEK IS RUNNING HIGH AND FAST IT IS DETERIATING THE SOIL, COUSING THE LAND TO SLIP IN THOSE AREAS.ARE THERE ORGANIZATIONS THAT CAN HELP ME TRY TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. ARE THERE PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP PRESERVE THIS AREA . THIS IS HAPENING ALONG THIS CREEK NOT JUST MY LAND .I REED ABOUT THE CONSEVATION DEPT ALWAYS STEPING IN TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CANT DO,BECOUSE YOU MAY HARM THE LAND. ARE THERE PEOPLE WILLIND TO HELP PRESEVE THE LAND.I JUST WANT TO KEEP THE LAND THERE FOR THE WILD LIFE AND ME TONY PS ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: LAND PROBLEM

Be careful when you do anything that involves any waterflow. The DEP and CORPS can get real ugly with you.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contact your local town & DNR offices. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Dan O.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a couple of links that might help give you an idea of possible solutions:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-swq-nps-sbs.pdf

http://www.eeaconsultants.com/news/winter2007/

http://www.westchestergov.com/Planning/environmental/AquaticRestorationSites/

Dan O.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might also try your local USDA-NRCS office.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM

yeah the corps can be real a$$ holes. i had to fight them in court for digging a pond in my swamp and using the fill to create a levvy but i prt culvers in so i didn't block water flow
Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

The first step in stopping the erosion is determining why the erosion is happening in the first place. Is the area vegetated? Has the watershed been modified upstream in some way that has increased waterflow through your area? Are cattle accessing the stream freely? There are a seemingly endless number of things that could be going on that are affecting the stability of your streambank. Determine why it is happening and you will know where to start on trying to control it.

Your local NRCS office is probably the best assistance you can get at no charge, but anything that you organize through them usually is very highly-regulated and, thus, comes with a high price tag due to the complexity. It is one of the best places to begin though, even if you do not implement their plan because they will educate you about what is happening with your stream.

As stated previously, before you begin moving any soils around in a wetland, you need to make sure you have approval of the goverment agencies that have jurisdiction over those kinds of activities...DEQ, Army Corps of Engineers, State, etc. Those that follow the laws usually do not have a problem with these agencies, but those that do not may end up with huge fines. Good luck on getting your problem under control.