Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Gophers

Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gophers

I have declared war on gophers. Bought some traps called the black hole. What I would love to try is the contraption that pumps lp gas into the tunnel than ignites it, exploding and killing the buggers. Sadly they are more money than I care to spend at this time. Anyone have any pointers or tricks that work on these little devils.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gophers

I take it your waging war on pocket gophers. A couple tricks that work is to wait until they start digging and pushing up the dirt, you'll be able to see it when they do this when they do, shoot into the dirt pile with a shotgun with some pretty substantial loads. Another trick is to try poisoned peanuts down there holes, just make sure nothing u dont want to die can get at them. Good luck I those stupid gophers
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Use the large chunks of bubble gum. Just put it at the entrance to their holes. Gophers love to eat it but cannot digest it and die.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Try a 22. should be fun target practice..... but bc im bored i looked this up fro you on google and it sounded good to me...

The key to effective gopher traps is to properly locate main tunnels and then correctly place the traps within the tunnels.
Gopher traps are most effective when they are placed in pairs in opposite directions in main tunnels as they will intercept gophers coming from either direction.
In addition to the main tunnel traps, gopher traps can also be placed in the lateral tunnels leading to mounds.
Main runways can be located by probing with a sharp stick or rod one or two feet away from a mound opposite the burrow plug.
Once the tunnel is located, it should be opened with a trowel or shovel to allow for the placement of gopher traps.
The gopher traps should be worked back and forth in the tunnel to loosen the earth.
After setting gopher traps, it is important to exclude light and air currents by covering the opening with grass clods, cardboard, or some other material.
All gopher traps should be wired to stakes to allow for safe and easy trap/carcass recovery as well as to prevent predators from removing the traps.
Gopher traps should be checked once or twice daily.
If a trap falls to catch a gopher within 3-4 days, it should be moved to a new location.
Trapping can be done any time of the year (as long as the ground is soft enough to permit digging),
but spring is overall the best time to trap as this is when gopher activity is high and the ground is easy to work.
Gopher trapping in the early part of the year will help to maintain population levels by eliminating breeding females.
After removal of any trapped gophers, it is wise (if it does not pose any hazard to children or pets) to leave a few gopher traps set in the burrows for a week or two because new invading gophers often explore vacated burrows before constructing completely new burrow systems.

hope this gets em
Old 03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys. It seems I have quite a few judging by the dirt mounds, so I will try all the tricks and keep you all posted. Maybe even some victory pics
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

let me know what works! i got pocket gopher problems aswell. i've tried waiting for them (no luck), i've tried poison (he wouldn't eat it), i'm out of ideas. i'm curious to know if the bubble gum trick works or not.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

let me know what works! i got pocket gopher problems aswell. i've tried waiting for them (no luck), i've tried poison (he wouldn't eat it), i'm out of ideas. i'm curious to know if the bubble gum trick works or not.
Chris, I don't think they are talking about FL Gophers.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not talking about our gopher turtles, i'm talk'n about pocket gophers. the things that look like huge moles. i didn't know they even existed until i bought my new place and noticed large sand piles forming all over my property. after doing a little research i learned i have a pocket gopher problem.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

Try baiting before poisoning. That's what a lot of folks do for prairie dogs. Not sure if it would work for pocket gophers (never even heard of them). But it might be worth a try if they eat grain.

The times I've poisoned prairie dog towns, we threw a few oats in all of the holes, then went back a few days later and put poisoned oats in the holes.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 AM

WELL OVER HERE IN INDIANA I DON'T THINK WE HAVE POCKET GOPHERS BUT FOR GROUND HOGS WE USE WHAT I LIKE TO CALL..... HILLBILLY NAPALM. MIX SOME USED MOTOR OIL, DIESEL, AND GASOLINE. NOT A LOT OF GAS. THE MIXTURE SHOULD BE THICK ENOUGH WHERE THE GAS AND DIESEL FLOAT DOWN THE HOLE ON TOP OF THE OIL. THEN LIGHT IT AND FEEL THE RUMBLE. THE DIESEL AND OIL WILL BURN REALLY HOT. BUT IF THERE'S NOT ENOUGH OXYGEN IN THE HOLE THE FIRE WILL GO OUT.

Quick Reply: Gophers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.