Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

deer feeder, finding sheds

Old 12-14-2002, 07:22 PM

Default deer feeder, finding sheds

I have an idea to hopefully find some sheds this winter. We are setting up a corn feeder. Around the corn feeder will be a 4 foot high fence. The feeder will be placed in the center of a 30' X 30' fenced in area. The idea is to get the deer to jump the fence to get the food. When the buck lands the impact should be enough to get the antlers to fall off. We will be setting the feeder up this week. I'll let you know if it works. However, it is a little early for deer to be shedding their antlers.

Eddie
Old 12-16-2002, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer feeder, finding sheds

Good Luck eddiee,

Heard stories around here of bucks being taken the last week, already shed. I passed up a one antlered, mature buck last Sat of gun season.

I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eddiieee

I really like your idea. It is way better than those antler traps. The reason I say that is because, can an antler be forced off to early from a deer? The chicken wire seems a little too much compared to the commercially made bungee cords that are used to force off the antler.
In my opinion this is another right/left issue that anti's can feed off from and hunters argue about.
Personally I am one to hope I find a shed naturally..........

I posted this to see if anyone has found any data to forced off antlers............
Old 12-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eddiee - Again I like your idea, but as I was thinking about it, I remembered that NY made feeding deer illegal this year. There may be some clauses that allow certain types of supplemental feeding, I don't know, but I'd hate to see you get nailed, because you were'nt aware of the change in law this year.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Old 12-18-2002, 01:25 AM

I read an article in some hunting magazine a while back about people using the method described with wire. I can't remember where I saw it but I think there are shed hunting groups around probably on the web you might look there for ideas. I am a little leary of anything that could snag them but I'm no biologist and have no idea what amount of force is required to remove an antler that is not quite ready.