Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finding sheds...... >

Finding sheds......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finding sheds......

Old 12-23-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Finding sheds......

Anyone have any special tactics to finding sheds or is it pot luck?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:12 PM

Default RE: Finding sheds......

It can be as tough as a needle in a haystack but an enjoyable way to get outdoors and enjoy yourself, especially if cabin fever sets in. Get a good idea for your area of timing then wait for a nice little thaw that might melt some snow (if there is a lot on the ground). Work your highest percentage areas, bedding, feeding and in between. If there are a lot of animals in your area that will chew them for minerals you have to beat them to 'em. If not you can wait until the snow is gone. I do a fair bit of looking and even was rewarded last January with a nice 4 pt rack still on the skull. It was at least a year old and totally bleached and clean. You have to scan a lot of ground but don't forget to keep looking up too so you don't miss the deer and other wildlife on display.
Have fun!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:57 AM

Default RE: Finding sheds......

get a dog
as a puppy play with it using a shed antler play fetch and stuff
when it gets older tell it to sit and stay go set the antler on the ground about 30 yards away walk back and say something like get the antler or find
then when it gets a little older tell it to stay walk around the house or somthing and hide the antler say find or whatever you said before (early on dont hide the antler too well just around the corner or something) keep doing this until you cant keep the dog from finding the antler then your ready to go try it out
in the woods

i have not done this but ive seen my buddies dog find sheds and its amazing

i just do it the old fashioned way blind luck