Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot

Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Default food plot

this is my first time ever putting a food plot on my land i have no idea wat to do were i live its thick but i have two fields and my grandfather is a farmer so i think he would know wat to do can anyone help me with a food plot that will grow fast with minimal effort but will still attract deer/turkeys
Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: food plot

I think the most important thing to do is get a soil sample first. Then you know what your lime/fertilizer requirements are. Once you have your location set, you can decide if you want a summer plot or fall plot. There are lots of seed options, but you need to know if you want a 'hunting' plot of a 'feeding' plot. Once you narrow that down, you can prepare your site. There is lots of very helpful members on this site.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Once your grand father tills and plants the field go around the edge JUST the very edge of the field and spread some seed and see what happens where you are going to hunt that is and I MEAN as soon as the seeds goin that day or hour min etc put in seed the no till and try it out... i hope this helps you.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 AM

We soil test our plots, then lime and fertilize to the requirements. The last week of March we disk it pretty hard drag, seed it with a 2-1 ladino clover chicory mix at about 6lbs per acre, and drag it again. We mow it twice during the summer, if we get enough rain. Then, during the last week of Aug. we lightly disk the plots again, and over seed with oats and brassicas at 40lbs. per acre for the oats, and 10lbs. per acre for the brassicas, we usually refertilize the plots at this time, also. We have 10 plots that range in size from 1/3 acre to 3/4 acre. Using this method gives the deer on our land a year round food source and fall attraction for hunting.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is about time to put in our food plots in Garvin county, OK. The ground is too wet right now. We will plant cowpeas, soybeans, grain sorghum (millet) and Japanese millet. In about August we will disk up a plot and plant wheat. About 1 October the spike oats and turnips will go in the ground. The spike oats we planted last fall are still doing well. The deer are still eating them.