Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Too early to seed?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Too early to seed?

I'm getting the itch to put some seed in the ground, and the days have been really warm lately. My only concern is this: I know that after a week or two of this we'll probably get one last shot of really cold weather. How long does it take for clover/chicory/alfafa to germinate, and would the cold weather kill it off? I'd hate to throw that much money away just to get a jump on the growing season.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Too early to seed?

i'm also anxious to get out there and plant some stuff onour property near Elmore City.We willgo with cowpeas and soybeans for sure. Planted soybeans and blackeyed peas last year but did not plant enough. Deer ate them off and they died in the hot weather.This year we will plant at least two or three acres.

Sorry,don't know anything abour farming or crops.Would some good Okie out there please give me some pointers on what elseto plant.How about sorghum or millet? We'veplanted Japanese millet around the edge of the pond and the deer really loved that stuff. But now the pond is full: It has steep sides and there is nowhere to plant unftil the water level goes down.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 AM

We are going to plant about 15 acres of iron and clay cowpeas, and everyone that we have talked to said, not to plant them until after April 1st. This is to eliminate the chance of a late freeze killing the peas.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

we plant alfalfa in sept,oct
Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, not to early to plant clover and chicory, I'm doing so this weekend.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

i live an hour north of you and it's a bit early to plant here
Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 PM

Well, all I can do now is pray for rain and hope that no cold snaps hit. Two out of the next three days have a good chance of rain, so I planted this afternoon to take advantage. Broadcasting that tiny seed was kind of a headache, but I guess overseeding can fix any bare spots. The feed store didn't have the fertilizer I needed, so that will be applied next week sometime.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

your seeds will be fine. i always overseed my plots in PA in january so the melting snow pulls the seeds down into the dirt. they've always done fine.