Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Harsh Winters

Old 02-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harsh Winters

Anyone else having a harsh winter where you live. I am here. We are supposed to get even more snow tonight. I'm scared that the pheasant population, which finally came back nicely after recent bad winters, is going to be hurt badly again. Just wondering who all is having the same problem as me.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Harsh Winters

If the predators are under control and there is heavy cover you have nothing to worry about. Also, its always best to shoot most of the roosters out of your spots. One rooster will breed many many hens. But when the cold weather hits, the rooster will run the hen out of the heavy cover because the rooster is more dominant. You can guess what happens to the hen from then on. The only thing you can do to save those birds now is shoot every fox,coyote, and bobcat you see.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info. I guess I'd kinda forgotten about predators. I might have to get out and do some coyote hunting.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:05 PM

Here in Idaho we have had a pretty substantial amount of snow this winter, the pheasant population was on the uprise, but I'm afraid the birds are going to be back on the decline after this winter...
Old 02-08-2004, 04:22 PM

We have finally been having a somewhat normal winter after an 11 year drought. But I am also worrying about the birds. Our grouse population in Utah was murdered when we had a huge winter in '93.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The winter here is pretty much a joke. Gets maybe mid 30s if lucky. People here always wear real thick jackets with holds. After being up in montana for a few winters (and loved it) i can wear my my H-Davidson sweatshirt and not be cold. Its been pretty rainy this year which i love. Hope it rains even more next year.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

We are getting alot of snow here too but snow actually acts as an insulator for them. Pheasants will burrow in and be warm but unfortunately, as was mentioned, the foxes, etc will find them eventually. I'm just hoping that we don't get that freezing rain/wind as I've heard that can kill the birds...