Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Straw

Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Straw

I got my seed, lime, fertilizerdown on freshly turned over soil, would you drag it, or since I'm blowing staw over it, will that be enough to hold the moisture for germination.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Straw

i would do both, drag it and then blow straw. if i could do just 1, i'd drag it.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

It will take me a little more time, but I have a piece of chain link fence that I can drag it with if you think it will really help that much? I was really hoping that since the soil is freshly turned over and I'm blowing straw that would be enough. Won't a nice steady rain set the seeds?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

"freshly turned over soil" with what? and what seed?

If you are spreading clover or rape, you do not need to drag it with anything. Rain will do the rest. A roller or culitpacker ok.

If you are planting rye, wheat, oats, just set the disk down about two inches, that will bury the seed about 1 inch.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

You must have a better deal with your weatherman than I do. I can't get a promise of rain out of my weatherman. It would have been helpful if you told us what kind of seeds you planted. But my suggestion would be drag it with the old fence, then pack it down using your ATV tires if that's all you have. Skip the straw.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Thought you all had read my 30 other posts about what seed I was going to plant. I settled on Wheat, Ladino Clover and Lespedeza. The soil was turnned over with a scraper and a bull dozer. We hit it with lime and fertilizer, 19-19-19.

I drug my fence as much as I could, then I blew straw over it. I've driven over it in some areas, which has packed the seed in pretty good. I have only had about .05 of an inch of rain since the seed and straw went in, plus the morning dews, which are pretty heavy. Every morning if you walk through the yard, your feet will be soaked. Not sure what that amounts to. I'm hoping for a .50 inch of rain this weekend and another inch middle of next week. If I get this I'll be in good shape.