Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Imperial Whitetail Clover - Nurse Crop >

Imperial Whitetail Clover - Nurse Crop

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Imperial Whitetail Clover - Nurse Crop

Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Spike

Default Imperial Whitetail Clover - Nurse Crop

Any recommendations on the need for, or benefit of, using a nurse crop when planting Imperial Whitetail Clover? Although Winter Rye has a weed suppression chemical, can it be used to nurse the clover? The intention is to plant both at the same time withinthe next1 - 2 weeks. I am located in NW PA. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Imperial Whitetail Clover - Nurse Crop

A Nurse crop can be helpful if its a dry fall - and it provides a fall forage - that might be attractive to the deer. I like Rye - but you don't want to much - maybe 60 lbs/acre. The allelopathic effect of Rye works well with clover - it supresses other weeds - and If the clover is effected - it more like causes dormancy - and the clover bounces back really fast when its gone.

A better choice might be a Hardy Oats - like Buck Forage Oats - beacause it will die off after a hard winter - and you won't have to deal with it next spring - like you will Rye. One year we used a Spring Oats as a nurse crop - it did well - but it was dead dead come November.

We've used Brassicas a couple times as the nurse crop - with clover - and are again this fall. Most of the Brassicas will die off over the winter.

FH
Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Spike

I hear that oats can be a little difficult to plant; I have no way to drill, I can only broadcast. Plus, the soil isn't the best due to lower PH. Would Winter Wheat be a decent alternative to Rye?

Clover did okay on this field in the past. I know I should rotate but have no option to do that. Imperial Clover was last planted 6 years ago and field was plowed and left dormant since last summer.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Pete

I hear that oats can be a little difficult to plant; I have no way to drill, I can only broadcast. Plus, the soil isn't the best due to lower PH. Would Winter Wheat be a decent alternative to Rye?

Clover did okay on this field in the past. I know I should rotate but have no option to do that. Imperial Clover was last planted 6 years ago and field was plowed and left dormant since last summer.
How about planting for a fall forage, and liming now? Come fall, you can lay down the clover.

How many quality years did you get out of the last clover plot there?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Spike

I have limited time and it now appears that this weekend will be when I plant. Liming will have to wait. The first plot got weedy but I kept it mowed so it attracted deer and turkeyfor about 4 years. I don't need a pristine plot that is weed free and lush with clover. At this point I can sacrifice that for minimal effort and expense. But, if a nurse crop (e.g rye, wheat, oats) will help, I'd broadcast that after the clover is broadcast rolled.