Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Decisions, Decisions.....

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Decisions, Decisions.....

I am currently trying to decide what type of seed to plant.What type of seed will grow if put on top of the ground???? How much sunlight/water is required?? My hunting place is around 45min away 1way so I will need a low maintenance seed as I will not be able to check it regularly. I am not in a position to take a tiller up through the woods to my hunting spot because the woods are pretty thick.However, once on top of the ridgeline it opens up in a particular spotthat I am targetingfor planting.(mostly shaded) I heard clover might work. All recomendations would be appreciated to thegreatest extent as I know that I am on a limited time frame as the season gets closer to opening day.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decisions, Decisions.....

This could be a serious gamble for you. To blindly braodcast seed without tilling and NO PH TEST? If this is an Oak ridge then the acidity could be very high and seriously prevent the majority of seeds from ever growing. PH is far more important than many folks realize. However, all this being said, if I had to pick just oine planting for the conditions that you mentioned I would pick one that could grow in less than ideal conditions and less than ideal PH, I'd go with a Brassicas mix. Something along the line of Tecomote Ultra Forage mix would be a great choice. This product WILL grow and it will produce more forage than anything else you could possibly plant. A Brassicas mix like this will provide just enough variety and maturing rate that you should have deer that are willing to hit throughout most of the season. This is also one of the least expensive products. I'd try to se if this would come up before I tried anything else in the future. The Brassicas planting will also help contend with weed takeover, something most planting wouldn't do on a first time loaction.

Here are some Brassicas based plots of mine that have done well.

This was a small woddland plot that was planted in Aug of last year and looked awesome by hunting season!

This is a recent (just a couple weeks ago) planted Brassicas plot that is off to a good start already. This plot is goig to be great especially once that corn is picked!