HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - RYE OR WINTER WHEAT
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 AM
little-d

Default RE: RYE OR WINTER WHEAT

like north texas said. the seed planting book says any seed is to be planted no deeper than 3 times is own diameter. so a inch is a little deep for wheat and rye. it will not all get that deep if you cut it under lite but there will be some that won't make it up, i just cut it up sow the seed and drag a old dog fence over it and like they said pray for rain. here in north ms. all winter grain cover attracts deer and other critters but the clover is a +. i planted rye and wheat a few years ago and the deer let the rye grow andate on the wheat, last winter i planted oats and wheat together and put a sack of winter peas in the very middle of my plot, they hit both wheat and the oats when it first came up then as the winter came on the oats died back and they worked the wheat. as spring got closer the oats started its new growth and the peas started growing and the deer walked away from the wheat for oats and peas. the deer stayed on the oats and peas till they got tuff. i only plant rye for cover on roads to help keep it from washing. this year i will mix the oats and wheat again and throw in abag of soy beans if it an't to late. i try to plant in late sept but dew to no rain i usually wait till i know it's going to rain over in oct.