Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral Licks

Old 06-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mineral Licks

I was jus wondering can mineral licks that are poured on the ground like in the dirt bad for the deers future health. This may sound stupid but i am jus wondering. It seems like if u poor a liquid on the ground the deer will continue to lick even jus the dirt and eat the dirt. Am I wrong? Its jus something i thought about.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Mineral Licks

That's kind of the idea. The "eating dirt" part.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Licks have their place - I think they are great for Trail Cams - and scouting the local populations and population shifts - but the jury is out on how much they help/hurt antler growth.

I think at best they don't HURT too much, and likely have little impact on antler growth in normal, wild herds - as the same nutrients are also widely available in most available food sources.

It seems to make sense that an overabundance of Phosphorous, Calcium and other trace elements should help antler growth - but most research cannot yet prove or disprove its effects. That tells me that at best - it has little effect on EXTRA antler growth.

Don't shoot the messanger - and don't expect TOO MUCH from a Mineral Lick.

FH
Old 06-30-2006, 08:47 AM

look at my recipe on my topic. that is the best mineral lick you can buy. in most states its hard to come by trace minerals and calcuim in the wild. so if you put out trace and calicium the deer can get there minerals. mineral licks are only good from say march-sept. becuase the doe's are bred and the bucks are starting to grow their antlers.
i have used the deer cocaine and the liquid feed that crap really is bad. there stuff in there i dont think is healthy for deer and it doesnt atttract them.