Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Small Plot - project

Old 05-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Small Plot - project

You guys here see our large plots most of the time - but we do some small ones too. These plots are "honey holes" and not much more than to funnel and attract the deer on their way to the larger plots we do. Here's a picture of one we've cleared out and planted this spring:

Its a Brassica Mix on a lowland trail ( we expanded it to about 1/4 acre wide) around the head of this beaver pond:

A lot of golden rod has started since we planted (we expected it) - and if I had it to do again - I'd probably Spray then work it. But we plan to mow instead - in about 3-4 weeks. We cut out alot of Trees - Willow, elm, red osier dogwood, ash, and buckthorn mostly when we expanded the roadway.

I'll post pictures on this thread as the plot progresses throughout the summer/fall.

FH

Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Default RE: Small Plot - project

looks like a great spot, you have the pines nearby for cover and the plot! I would have alot less deer if it weren't for my honey holes that the bruisers feel more comfortable appearing in!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Spike

You stated that you planted it around a beaver pond. Just curious as to the soil type? Most river-bottoms around me are typically wet, cold, mucky ground. I've never had success getting much to grow in it.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The plot is slightly uphill at the head of the pond. Its wet in the spring but fairly dry in the summer months. Still -its dark soil - bottomland. It looks to be fertile soil (I didn't test it) - it grows great goldernrod - so I know its dry enough for an upland plot. We went with brassicas over clover - because there are alot of woody roots to deal with -and we wanted an annual plot that we could knock back for the next couple springs - then it'll probably get a good clover planting.

FH