Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best "no plow" food plot

Old 04-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Best "no plow" food plot

I have hunted a 330 acre piece of land in WV for over 10 years and seen tons of really good bucks on the property. Over the past few years I have seen less deer altogether. I want to help the land alittle this year and experiment with supplemental feeding & food plots. The problem I have with the food plot idea is that there is absolutely no access for equipment at all. The land is just rolling mountains, with thick cover everywhere. The only equipment would be whatI can carry with my bare hands maybe a rake and a seed spreader. Has anyone experimented with "no plow" seeds such as secret spot and all the other ones? I just wonder if I put all that time and work in just how good it would grow, attract deer, help growth, and so on. How long do the products typically last??
Old 04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best "no plow" food plot

In that case I would concentrate on improving the native vegetation, mainly through fertilizing. Briars, honeysuckle and native vegetation are just as palatable and desirable for a deer as a planted food plot.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:51 AM

I am in WV.............. last year I used Secret Spot in a couple places in the woods.........came up and was green within a week...... all I used was a rake and a weedeater

if there is bare dirt it will grow...... well most seeds of anykind will if there is bare dirt

If there are any kind of old bare logging roads these would be good for planting a perrenial clover on as well
Old 05-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard of maybe planting apple or pear trees...???
Old 05-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reminder: All Seeds are No Till.... a very wise man that owns a Seed company told me that!