Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Planting a pumpking patch to attract deer >

Planting a pumpking patch to attract deer

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting a pumpking patch to attract deer

Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Planting a pumpking patch to attract deer

i'm growing some pumpkins for a local civic organization this year. we plan on selling them the first week of october at an annual fair. it also happens to coincide with ML deer season.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

Deer love pumpkins! They usually won't start eating them until after a good frost, when the pumpkins start wilting.
I've also heard the same for watermelon. Don't know if its true though.
I planted both next to my food plot this year, which contains soybeans, milo, and winter wheat, so will find out for sure this fall.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

there is no doubt about it, deer absolutely LOVE pumpkins! my father and i would go to a local grower the day/weekend after Halloween, and take back home for free four to six truck loads of the things. then we would drop all of them. once the frost got to them, they soften up, and the deer stomp on them to break them so they could get to the insides. with that many pumpkins they would last until spring, frreezing during the winter solid, but that wouldn't stop the deer, they would come in all winter long. and in Vermont, that could be until May. but i would talk with a local grower first to see if you can get the kind of free deal like we usually did. no sense in commiting space to grow something if you can put it in a nice neat pile.