Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Summer Soybean Pics

Old 04-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Summer Soybean Pics

For those of you considering Soybeans - Here is a few pictures from our plots last year. We had plenty of usage on the plots - right through winter.

FH

FH
Old 04-22-2006, 06:13 AM

Default RE: Summer Soybean Pics

Nice pictures. I would like to plant soybeans sometime. I know deer will go for them all winter and dig through alot of snow to get at them.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sean, what did you do with the wheat and then what did you plant after wheat, I dont remember....
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

What type of soybean did you plant? Looks like a good bush type bean suitable for row planting. It will be at least a month before beans can be planted here.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:46 AM

I believe it was you who was talking about planting your beans in 15" rows last year. Is that what the beans in the picture are plantedat?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

He planted in 15 in rows with a 30 in planter, I suggested that he come back and plant the middles as opposed to buying a different planter. My guys did that on several thousaand of beans a few years ago until we traded for a 12=23 planter. That was the first big planter. 12 30 in rows or drop it down for 23 15 in rows..Farm hunter did it had good luck ith the rows closing in pretty fast and tells me he is going to do it again this years....So try it , it works....
Old 04-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

15" rows is the way to go. You could probably even go 12" rows- but the tractor tires would always take one or two out.

Our planter isn't perfect - so we "eyeballed" 15" - and it filled in great.Without a planter - you could probably broadcast - and disk/cultipack - and do pretty well.

I don't even know what the bean type was - except that it was Roundup ready - and the Co-op gave me a really good deal on them.

The grainin the picture wasstrips of Rye from the year before's plot that we left:

We left it for bedding and cover - I'm not sure it really did much for us - but it didn't hurt either. It was really easy to see where the deer crossed throught the strips in the the rye plots - and that was useful. Their trails were very obvious through the rye - but almost impossible to see through the corn itself. Helped with stand placement come hunting season. We'll plow it under this year.

FH

Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a bag of RR beans to go in this year. Dad used a press drill when he did them years ago on the farm. Said he used less herbiside that way. I don't have a planter so am going to spread them with a spreader & disc them under. Great pics, I'll have to post some of my plot this year.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you disk them under be sure and not ge t them in too deep, a half to an inch is enough dirt covering them, you get em in too deep and you lose them
Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks great, I won't be planting beans, the farm fields there right now are beans.

Quick Reply: Summer Soybean Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.