Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

small food plots

Old 03-14-2006, 08:29 PM

Default small food plots

i was going to try out the secret spot and hot spot in a small area i hunt, my question is can i use this stuff through the year, i wanted to plant the plot in may and have it last through bow season, is this possible? if not what are my options? the reason i'm using these to products is because i cant get any machinery to yhis area to plant.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 PM

Default RE: small food plots

anybody?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:17 AM

Im no pro here by any means, however I dont see a problem with it. The only issue you may run into planting in spring is having to replant late summer cause the deer with browse it down so quickly. Make sure you lime and fertilize and give it a shot cant hurt nothing Good problem to have!!!!!

Steve
Old 03-16-2006, 09:09 AM

What you need to do is check the maturity dates for the various plants in the mix. Some plants will mature in 14 - 16 weeks while others will mature in only 8 weeks. Plan your planting date so that your food plot will be reaching maturity around the time in which you plan on utilizing it. This is important because plants like Brassica will not be used by Deer until mature and ripened, usually once hit with a hard frost.

Another thing to remember on small plots is that they can be eatenup in a short amount of time, causing theDeer to move often. So the planting time is important. Nothing is more depressing than sitting over a food plotduring you only vacation and the plot has not yet been touched or has been chewed to the ground the week before.

If there is ample sunlight and the soil is fairly good, I like a mix withclover. Clover is a great plant for food plots, as it can last for several years whenproperly managed. It will put forth growth during the cool months, spring and fall, providing high quality forage when needed. I have had good luck using these types of mixes.