Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plots small or large??

Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default food plots small or large??

Are 2 large food plots(2ac each)better than making several small plots? I think if I do the several small plots I should be able to keep the deer moving around more.I would plant different crops in each plot.What do you guys think???
Old 03-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: food plots small or large??

Depends on what you are planting and what you want to accomplish. If you are planting a nutrition plot (beans, peas, corn)you are better off to go with the larger plots because the deer will mow down the plot before it ever really gets established. If you are planting a hunting plot (clovers, wheat, oats, rye), you're better off the go with the smaller plot, but I wouldn't make it any smaller than a half acre in size. Of course the best option is to have both. Nutrition plots will help you hold deer on your property year round and hunting plots will help you harvest them in the fall.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

100% agreement there.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GaHunter19

Depends on what you are planting and what you want to accomplish. If you are planting a nutrition plot (beans, peas, corn)you are better off to go with the larger plots because the deer will mow down the plot before it ever really gets established. If you are planting a hunting plot (clovers, wheat, oats, rye), you're better off the go with the smaller plot, but I wouldn't make it any smaller than a half acre in size. Of course the best option is to have both. Nutrition plots will help you hold deer on your property year round and hunting plots will help you harvest them in the fall.
Could you explain further? I thought clovers, wheat, oats, rye are more nutritious then corn. Why would corn be considered a nutition plot?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Those seeds may be more nutritious than corn. If you try to plant corn in a small plot it will not last long if it makes it at all.

The corn does give them more carbs than the other crops premention.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Spike

Corn --as pikecofoodplotter said corn privides a high levels of carbs and fat. This is important, particularly in colder climates, asdeer need to put on maximum fat storage prior to winter. Basically the better condition a buck goes into the better condition he'll be in next spring when he starts the following years antler development. Similarily with does, the fat storage over winter will help maximize lactation rates when fawns are born the following spring.

In terms of nutrition, corn does not provide near as much protien as lugumes (beans, peas, clovers, etc) and its only avaliblefor a much more limited amount of time. And remeber, acorns also providehigh carb/fat levels. But when planted in large enough sectionscorn can also add fawning cover if you have issues with predators.

My suggestion would be to look at your total habitat and determine what's missing (protien, fat, cover,etc.) Try to identify native plants, browse pressure, etc to determine what you really need. Finally at the bare minimum, have a soil test done. This can be done for as little as 15 bucks, and can save you from wasting lots of money on seed and feterlizer. Understanding your soil with help you want to plant. IMHO, the best single reference on food plots is the book Quality Food Plots produced by the QDMA. www.qdma.com Its about 35 bucks, which makes it the most expensive food plot book on the market, but it will save you lots of time, money, and frustration.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

having multiple plots keeps the hunting pressure off the deer more than if you just sit on one all the time.