Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Ladino clover

Old 02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ladino clover

I have always been a big proponent of Ladino clover.A conversation with a wildlife consultant made me do a little thinking. He said it grows too tall and doesn't provide enough feed for deer. I don't know if I buy in to that 100%, but there may be some truth behind it. I still think Ladino is a good, economical choice for a simple wildlfe plot. Everywhere I have had it, they hammer it. With it's hieght, however, it may need some more maintenance (mowing).
Old 02-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ladino clover

Ladino is a little more fickle than some other white clovers. If you can get it to grow well - I'd say its TOPS in production, taste & probably protien.

Mow it 3 times ayear - and it'llnever get too tall. Sometimesthe fisrt cutting is really heavy - don't be temped to rake it off - leave it on the field if you can. When you mow the second time -the crop will be very thick for the fall - and much of the nutrients and organic matter really help it thrive through mid summer when the deer really need it most.

Mix it with a "White Dutch CLover" or other 6" or lower growing clover - and don't mow too close - that has always worked well for me.

FH

Old 02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ladino clover

ORIGINAL: farm hunter- Mix it with a "White Dutch CLover" or other 6" or lower growing clover - and don't mow too close - that has always worked well for me.
I agree 100%