Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

any advise

Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any advise

You may not have to wait that long:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/antlers.asp
"A yearling buck can support a six to eight point rack by fall. This dispels the misconception that the age can be determined by the number of points. Age is determined by the replacement and wear of the teeth."
Dan O.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the lack of correlation between age and points has been known in wildlife circles for quite some time. However, what is possible and what is common in the wild are two entirely different things. I think my answer was the cautious one. While there COULD be some 2nd year deer with three on a side (i've shot several) it's most likely that they will be forked or 2 points with a small 3rd (~1"). But like I said there are a plethora of factors that influence antler growth and it's impossible to model.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you've got the right genetics and nutrients Boone & Crockett antlers are a possibility after 2 years. It looks like some people have a good handle on it in the attached article:

http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artman/publish/article_86.shtml

Of course you will be changing the natural environment with these supplements.

Dan O.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

Yeah that was what I was talking about. If you have a good mast (acorn) crop, using food plots or feeders probably won't have much impact.
I disagree, the mast crop will only be there a short time and NOTHING food plots or corn feeders will keep the deer off the acorns but what is going to happen the other 11 months of the year. I would plant spring and fall food plots and feed corn with timed feeders. Use anything and everything the deer might want to give every reason possible to come to your property. If you have any cover don't bushhog it for the food plot constructionthe deer won't do anything but visit if they don't have the securtiy of cover
Old 11-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Georgia Hard Hunter " Use anything and everything the deer might want to give every reason possible to come to your property. If you have any cover don't bushhog it for the food plot constructionthe deer won't do anything but visit if they don't have the securtiy of cover "

I agree, when I had my timber thinned the deer that had been coming through very often quit using the area, atleast durring day light hours anyway.
After 2 years and the understory has thickened back up the deer can now be seen durring day light/shooting hours.

I even noticedafter my property thickened back up and the deer started using it more, the neighbors had their trees removed and the deer slowed way down in how much they moved around on my property durring day light hours. As the neighbors land has started getting grown up in weeds and such the deer have started moving more durring day light.

Leaving plenty of cover is about as important as anything you do.

Thanks
Mr-Pirk