Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Acorn question???

Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 PM

Default RE: Acorn question???

Wow--ask a question about acorns, and find out about shooting blue jays and now I gotta go to the library and check out "To Kill a Mockingbird".
Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

here in kansas, our state laws read almost just like the ones you posted.

"no non-game birds except starlings, feral pigeons, and english sparrows"
Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 PM

How about Mother Nature? Did you have any bad storms lately? That will certainly knock the nuts and most other things from the trees.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for starting a ruckus. If the land is agricultural you can get a permit to remove almost any animal (unless it's threatened or endangered) that's causing damage. At least in Ontario. You're not hunting soagricultural regulations come into effect. I found it sad when I asked the MNR what I should do about the beavers that are dropping trees on my land. I was told to shoot them. Instead I've signed up with a trapper who'll get a pest fee and the pelt from each one he can get.

Dan O.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dan O.

Sorry for starting a ruckus. If the land is agricultural you can get a permit to remove almost any animal (unless it's threatened or endangered) that's causing damage. At least in Ontario. You're not hunting soagricultural regulations come into effect. I found it sad when I asked the MNR what I should do about the beavers that are dropping trees on my land. I was told to shoot them. Instead I've signed up with a trapper who'll get a pest fee and the pelt from each one he can get.

Dan O.
Uhmm.... Dan O.? We were talking about blue jays knocking acorns out of oak trees weren't we? I suppose it would be fun to be a fly on the wall at the DNR office when the request to remove blue jays comes in though.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

answerguy;you're right, it's different from the Jay's hitting my pecan or hazel crops. I wonder if there's a rent-a-hawk service in blueturkey's area ?

Dan O.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:15 PM

Back to the ? Well.... Trees that have not had sufficient rain and have also been exposed to extreme heat conditions will react defensively by dropping their fruit and leaves early so as to sustain the drought conditions.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 PM

Hey thanks, alwyshntn!!!! That was my thought and it took all this for the answer. We have had way above average temps and it has been very dry. And to think, I almost went for the rent a hawk idea.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I was in my woods today and heard acorns hitting the ground. I looked up and there was Mr Squirrel nibbling them off the branches. This isn't to say drought isn't a factor but I'll bet most of them that come down early are the result of squirrels.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Acorn question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.