Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting question

Old 08-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Planting question

I am working on getting my plot ready to plant. I am planning on using Imperial Clover mixed with Buck Forage Oats. My plan is once I get the plot worked up and ready, to broadcast the oats, then drag over them to give them slight cover....then I will broadcast my clover seed on top, and (hopefully) I should be good.
Would this be the best way to do this? Also how much seed should I use of each type? I have about 1/3 acre on the plot I am currently working on. My goal is to have an all clover plot going forward, I thought the BFO would be a good cover crop for thefall...I have heard alot of good things about them.Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-02-2005, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Planting question

I am hoping that someone with more BFO experience answer your question, but I think what you propose should work. If the BFO seed size is similar to wheat, it should be covered. The clover spread on top will work as long as it rains decently. The only thing you may want to do different is to create more soil/seed contact in regards to the clover. This may be more important in fall planted clover then winter broadcast clover.

If you read the label onImperial clover I think they suggest about 3-5 lbs per acre, but I am not sure. So a1 to 1.5 poundsshould be adequate ifthis is true. I have noclue about BFO.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Howis BFO different from "feed store" oats ? Are they on steroids or something ? Are they any better ?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know absolutely nothing about BFO, but I would guess the clover will not come up in the oats, as the oats will restrict sunlight and smother out the clover, the time to plant the clover in the oats would be in the spring, late winter, Feb. March kind of frame. I would do one or the other but not both, I am just expressing logic here, like I say I know nothing about BFO. Check with someone else also...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Howis BFO different from "feed store" oats ? Are they on steroids or something ? Are they any better ?
They are more cold tolerant than regular oats. Yes they are better.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Mike -

The plan sounds good - it might be hard to find a small bag of BFO though -
For 1/3 Acre - I'd say 20-30 lbs of BFO and 3 lbs of clover. Your application sounds good - except I'd agree with greg & roll the clover after broadcasting - If you can use a culitpacker. If not - drive your 4 wheeler or truck over and over on the plot to pack down the soil - it really does make a big difference in seedling germination rates.

Kevin - BFO is a cold hardy oats - that is much more hardy than typical spring oats - which die after the 1st frost or two. Its a good fall plot in most areas.

Mike - I don't know how cold your winters get - but If you get single digit weather - they willl die back - which is prefferred as far as I'm concerned - they will have done their job as a nurse crop - and the clover will come on full bore in the spring. If it doesn't die off - you might have to mow it back a couple times next year. I'm not 100% sure but I think 120 lbs/acre is what is suggested for a straight BFO plot - so you want about 75-80% of a full planting so the clover can take root - don't expect to see much clover this fall.

Post pics!

FH
Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! Yes I actually was planning on driving the ATV over the clover seed to press it in...I just didn't mention it. I don't have access to a cultipacker, so that is the best I can do. It has worked well for me in the past.

I know the clover won't come on much this fall...but it wouldn't really anyhow without the oats(my soil is not that great). We get temps down to 5-10 usually a couple times a year during a normal winter, so hopefully that should work out. My biggest concern is ratio's of seed to plant. I don't want to use too much oats, but also would like to have a decent fall plot also. Thanks again.I will post some pics as I go...

Old 08-03-2005, 06:55 AM

You are correct about your assumption on reducing your BFO seed planting rateunder regular planting density. I forgot to mention that. Several times, I planted alfalfa and clover in the fall on my hay fields with a nurse crop of wheat. Worked out great.