Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Alternatives to round up

Old 08-03-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Alternatives to round up

I have applied round up to a heavly weeded field twice. Once with 17 percent at recomended doseage then with super concentrate at 50 percent .... it seems to do the job but is there a cheaper alternative to round up. Or do they sell the main ingredient by its self. that would be cheaper. Also i have a soy bean and cow pea and want to know is there is a herbicide that i can spray that will kill the weeds and leave everything else alone.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Alternatives to round up

We use the 41% stuff for crops, works good, the other material for weed control you can use use is Grammoxone aka paraquat which is labeled with skull and crossbones, which means it is deadly, you need to hire an Ag company and licensed applicator to apply that , do not apply it with a hand sprayer,, it will give you a fast burnoff....
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM

I dont want to hire anybody to do this stuff, that will just cost more money, Is there something that i can either order or buy at a store in town that will kill weeds and not the beans,
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

i buy generic 41% glyphosate from the grain elevator. it was around $52 for a 2.5 gallon jug this april.

buy that. it's probably much more than what you need, but the glyphos won't spoil or go bad if you keep it from freezing. you can use it next year and the year after. if you have your own container, they can pump you some out of a 55 gallon drum and it would cost even less.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:54 AM

yea this is what i am looking for but i dont know of a place here that i can find a place like this.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

where do the local farmers buy their herbicides, chemicals and fertilizers? surely there is a grain elevator or a co-op in the area. ask a farmer where they get their supplies, and that's where you'll find the gly.

or, just ask a farmer if hehas any partial jugs of gly that he would like to sell.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yoou probably have to be licensed to buy from a retailer, just buy some from a farmer