Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plot question

Old 06-20-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Food plot question

I have a small area about 1/2 acre surrounded by a nice plot ofAlpha Feast - It is doing great and being used regularly - I would like to plant this 1/2 acre in the middle with something that does not require lots of soild prep - I know you get what you put into it - but I do not have the time needed to do it right - I can hit it with my ATV disc but this doesn't do much on the hard sod packed prairethat I have recenlty mowed to the ground. Can anyone recommend something to plant in this area? Somethignthat does not require a great seed bed - but will grow in the exposed area my disc will create - I have sprayed the area with arrest to remove the grasses and would like to plant something in there this fall -

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Food plot question

I am not sure what Alpha Feast is, but how about trying a mix of small seed plants plus some cereal grains. Small seeds such as brasicas or clovers should germenate in any soil that has been turned over and maybe even in bare ground if moisture is present.If you could work in some mix of cereal grain (wheat, oats or rye grain) in the mix, some of it will come up as well.The brassicas will produce more total plant growth in the short term then the legumes, but I have not had a lot of luck with deer utilization of themin my area. The cereal grains seems to always beagood draw in my area.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Food plot question

oats work well in KS