Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smokers question

Old 09-18-2002, 06:34 AM

Default smokers question

Alright, I know I'm new to this board, but I've got a serious question for those of you who smoke and hunt. Is there anything you do before going into the woods to kill the tobacco smell we all know we carry with us?
Old 09-18-2002, 06:55 AM

Default RE: smokers question

I usually just go out with a regular cover scent, I like the scent blockers. Not sure if it totally kills the smoke smell, but I figure it's better than nothing. I guess the best way to keep the smoke smell at bay would be to find a good place down wind, so the deer couldn't pick it up. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:47 AM

Would you be any more scared if the grizzly bear that was charging ya smelled like the rotten meat he was eating? That's about how it is for the deer, I'd imagine.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 09-18-2002, 09:01 AM

I kill the smell as much as possible with earth scent. But I have found that smoke smell really doesn't matter if you play the wind. Last weekend I actually had a cigarette while watching 1 fork and 3 does in a field from about 50 yards

<blockquote>Uncle Buck In WI<blockquote>Visit My website... http://isp.n2v.net
Old 09-18-2002, 10:00 AM
ck
Fork Horn

I have had to put alot of smokes out to take a shot. Play the wind.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not care if you smoke or you don't, if you are not playing the wind correctly you will be busted! I sat last year watching two large bodied 6 pointers at about 40 yards(bow season)and after 1/2 hour and them refusing to come my way I fired one up, well about 2 minutes later a HUGE 8 point came out to join the 6 pointers. I was on the ground and the wind was blowing from them to me. I do not care how much cover scent or scent eliminator you are wearing, if the wind is blowing from you to the deer you are busted.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 09-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

After I shower with scent killer shampoo and soaps etc I will not smoke. I choose not to take any chances with my hunt. I use the nicoteen gum when I hunt. I figure I want a deer more than I want to smoke. In the past I have had 2 deer come right under my stand while I had a cig in hand and I just about caught the woods on fire trying to put out the cig and I didnt get the deer.Since then I do not smoke when preparing for or while I am hunting. Try using the patch or the gum. Im trying to quit but I have not been successful, but I have cut down to a 1/4 pack a day. Good Luck in your hunt.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with everyone else, becaue I think the wind is the key factor. The last deer I killed, embarrassingly enough was 5 years ago, and I had gotten down off my stand and was heading back to camp. I had stopped to release some of the coffee I had drank that morning, unloaded my gun layed it down lit a cigarette and turned around to water a tree when I saw my buck about 35 yards from me. I finished my business, put out my smoke loaded my gun and the rest is history. I was directly down wind from him and looking back it was almost to easy, but while it was all taking place I just knew he would disappear before I could get a shot.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:39 PM

This is sad but I have been hunting for 10 years and smoking the entire time. I have taken at least one Deer a year since I started and about 90% of those deer forced me to put out my smoke to take a shot. I don't think the smoke really bothers them all that much and I almost think it covers human scent a little or at minimum confuses them. Maybe I would have even better success if I stopped killing myself but I am not ready yet so until then I will keep smokin and droppin game.

One thing all smokers on this board have to admit is how unbelievably fantastic that first smoke after you just arrowed a buck feels. It is better than having a smoke after sex or a good meal. Anyway, to each his/her own and smoke if you want or don't but I don't think smokin will really make a difference in your success.

JMHO.

Hunting is like life. You plan and practice thinking everything is just right and suddenly the wind shifts directions and it's all over.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:24 PM

ck, you took the words right out of my mouth.

--Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs--

Quick Reply: smokers question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.