Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smokers question

Old 09-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: smokers question

well I usually hunt after work so the days I plan to hunt I dont smoke at all. I carry my scent free soap and wash up before leaving work, to wash the sweaty smell off me. And my hunting clothes have never seen smoke or anything else. But ill tell ya what the ride home from hunting boy is that smoke good.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:28 AM

Thanks for all of the great input! Think I'll try breaking off a small ceder tree bough and rub it all over my clothes before I spray down really well with earth spray at the truck. Then I'll try the patch idea while I'm on the stand and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:20 PM

I have been curious about this my self. I have noticed my luck really stinks when I have friends that smoke come hunting with me. We get set up with the wind in our face and the trails in front of us and still dont see deer. I can go any time with out the smoke factor and always see deer.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:01 PM

A week brfore the season opens I stop smoking in the house, open up all the windows and let it air out. I also will stop smoking in the truck and air that out also. I NEVER bring smokes with me in the woods, and even though I have smoked a pack a day for 10 yrs I can easily handle not smoking while I hunt.

I do keep one smoke in the truck for a treat if I have a successful hunt. Like NY said that is one great smoke!!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I smoked for over thirty years and everybody I hunted with did. Never failed to fill my tag in all that time .Now I don't smoke and still fill my tags so I believe if you know how to hunt it doesn't make much difference . I still hunt which ,I know a lot of people don't do and maybe hunting from a treestand smoking might make a diffence . I've never tried that type of hunting .
Old 09-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest buck was taken while still hunting, minutes after putting out a smoke. I feel that the danger comes from the movement and sighs of pleasure rather than the smell.
I've been told that the smell makes them curious, I'm not sure I buy that, but unless they have been shot at by a smoker that they could smell at the time I don't think a deer will immediately associate the smell with danger.

"guns aren't for killing people, guns are for killing dangerous and delicious animals"
- Homer Simpson
Old 10-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-12-2002, 09:05 PM

I dont smoke but a few of our club members do and usually they just air out thier coveralls and use cover sent.

Others don't do a thing, yes nothing, and they harvest deer just as much.

Some trees we use for our climbers have cig. butts stuck and wedged inbetween the bark, they smoke as they hunt.

I think some deer populations possible get use to the smell?

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Playing the wind will work for all hunters, but in a few years when your are coughing your lungs up while trying to enjoy hunting even the wind won't help. I've hunted around old smokers for a long time, and most of them don't shoot squat, but they do cough a lot. Most smokers can quit though, most of them will tell you they have done it at least a dozen times.

Old 10-13-2002, 12:11 PM

Now I have to agree with timbercruiser, Not to sound like I am criticicing any smokers out there, that's your choose and I respect that. Right or wrong.

But, as TC stated for a lot of old timers who still smoke have a bad cough that comes with years of smokeing.

This I can atest to, we have a few coughers with in our club and they have lost quite a few when they can't hold back that cough any longer, Now that's one sound a deer will run like heck from.

I've been out stalking with my father in law and boy a few time in the past when a opportunity seems to be presenting it self, he just can't hold that urge/need to cough, and there they go!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!

Quick Reply: smokers question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.