Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Take a look at this!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Take a look at this!!!

What is the smallest buck that you would shoot?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Take a look at this!!!

up in whitecloud where we hunt, if the buck gets to a 6 pointer its called a whitecloud trophy, they dont get big at all round where i hunt, so the smallest i would shoot would be a big spike
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 PM

I would like to only shoot 8 pointers with thick beams and long tines. For most of the season I pass up the runts and small 6 pointers. If my buck tag is still unfilled late in the season I'll drop my standards and go for the average deer. On the last day of the hunt, "if it's brown it's down".

Does are a different story, I let the big mama's pass so I can shoot their veal daughters. That's good eatin.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on the tract I am hunting on. Some are meat hunts and I will shoot anything I want to as I give a lot of deer away. Other areas are mature bucks only.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:40 PM

At my place in Florida I shoot any buck with 5 in. or more. In Alabama I only shoot 8 pointers with 15in spread.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depends how hungry I am. In pa we have pt restrictions
Old 05-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

depends on too many situations to list. I shot a sixteen inch six this year that I thought was a very large six or eight, and was not happy because I didn't have time to really look at him and my first observation (as he was looking at me from downhill, I thought his main beams were his g 2s) and before I knew it the bullet was gone. I am happy though, because my little hunting buddy saw very little action in the woods this year. didn't even get a shot at one (he had seen only 18 all season) until I pushed some cover for him on the last day. he got three shots and actually had the rifle knocked out of his hands by a big doe on her way out of the brush. that was funny
Old 05-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: max the dog

Does are a different story, I let the big mama's pass so I can shoot their veal daughters. That's good eatin.

I used to do the same thing till I found out that those big mama's will run my little bucks off of my food sources, now I take those big mama's and let the little ones feed.

To the question at hand, if I think it is mature (5 1/2 or older) I will shoot it if it has less than 8 points I try not to shoot anything under that age or that point total. However, I will shoot a spike or small four point if I know they are mature, I guess it just depends on where you live and the type of deer that you are accustom to seeing.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 AM

big mama's will run my little bucks off
If you kill the big does, in years to come you will see more bucks.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:47 AM

I shoot does as soon as I see them Big Small whatever. We have a high doe population. As for bucks Six or better. We don't usually see big buck in N.Y. but we try to manage on our property. and the other property owners around us do the same. In four years i'v shot only one buck an 8.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.