Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shampoo..

Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 PM

Default RE: shampoo..

I've shot so many deer with a cigar in my mouth it isn't funny. Last year we had one walk right behind the sight in target on opening day at 70 yards with 6 hunters standing around a picnic table with 5 minutes of shooting light left all with beers in hand. (it was a mad scramble for the guns but......we all ate tenderloin that night). The 2 days before we must have unloaded 1,000+ rounds out there. I can see scent control for bow hunting where close means CLOSE!!! but with a rifle it's pretty much dumb luck or perseverence....spend more quiet time in the woods than the next hunter and the deer will come.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM

What's wrong with you? If deer could smell the size of a footprint, then they're definitely too smart to be killed by hunters. they would never go anywhere!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cwtaylor89

What's wrong with you? If deer could smell the size of a footprint, then they're definitely too smart to be killed by hunters. they would never go anywhere!

The effects of a print only last so long. When a person steps down they crush what ever is under it releasing a stronger than normal smell. When a person brushes a plant the same effect happens. It is that stronger than normal smell at the cadence of a person that game maybe picking up on.

I really don't know why that equates to something being wrong with me. Why do you think it's such a radical thought? It does kind of make me think there is more to it. Usually things like this generate no reaction at all, but this has had at least two people fired up. People don't normally take me so seriously. Leaves me with mixed emotions, both good and bad.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you go out with Beer/Dog Breath on the morning of hunt, you can bet Deer will smell your "Dog Breath". Deer choose depending on wind and what human scent pattern they are accustomed to = Danger = Fear = GET THE HELL OUTA HERE!

Just like a human fart in the woods to a Deer. Its their Turf - Your Busted.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I use it. I try to controle as much sent as possible, but it is impossible to get rid of it all. I think the key is playing the wind right. It doesnt matter what you do, if the wind is not right, your busted. Or at least that is true when you need to get close to the deer.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:54 AM

Burnie, you're absolutely right about the wind. In my mind, it's the single most important factor. I personally use the unscented Sure deoderant and soap because it's a lot cheaper than scentaway, however I do use the scentaway laundry detergent. After washing the clothes, I put them in a scent free bag with either acorn scent or just plain baking soda.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the scent free soap!! I'll buy 2 bars and they last all season. Works great!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:14 PM

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, but i think that it's your thought and you can think it if you want, I won't try to change your mind, I just think it's a little radicle that deer can smell the size of a foot print, but they can't smell hunters. I know deer have an excellent smelling sense, but I don't think it's that excellent.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 PM

I would do anything that decreases your scent
Old 05-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

People...People.....listen...most deer hear car noises, smell exhaust, hear human voices all the time. Stop worrying so much about it.
Sure, curb your stink as much as possible but quit worrying over every little detail so much.
Also, and this is WAY important...Burniegoeasy.....those are Gary P. Nunn's lyrics, not Jerry Jeff Walkers.

Quick Reply: shampoo..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.