Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Apples or not????

Old 09-15-2002, 10:15 AM

Default Apples or not????

Should i put out apples or not or should i try apples and carrots or carrots and sugarbeats??????????????? I was jsut wondering thanks for the help

Old 09-15-2002, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Apples or not????

They all work great. Most of the eating is at night this time of year
you may need to be closer to bed areas to get them when they first leave the beds to go to your food. ie. they arrive at the food after dark.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:22 AM

you want to try something else that works great, gather up a bunch of acorn's put them in a bucket with warm water just enough water to cover them add about half a container of salt morton's etc. let them soak for a day, you can use more salt if you want, but the result's is great you won't be able to keep up with it, also warm water and a salt solution poured on a nearby stump will make a good salt lick deer will chew on the stump believe me. good luck
Old 09-15-2002, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I've got one hunting spot where the deer won't get near apples but will eat pears. At another spot the deer will just about eat the apples before they hit the ground yet won't touch a pear. I can't explain why this happens but a buddy of mine has the same situation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may have to experiment with different things to find out what your deer like and dislike.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:56 PM

I would experiment but im willing to bet apples will work.I take hot applecider in a thermos instead of coffee to my stand.And poured some on leaves and the ground to see how deer would react to it.And they licked the ground and at the leaves that i had poured it on.

Also Vanilla Extract works for some people,i have read on threads.I haven't tried it yet though.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!