Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crab Apples

Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default Crab Apples

What do you'll think about an early season stand on a few crab apple trees. And when do the crab apples start falling in your area? (I hunt in South Georgia).

Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crab Apples

The deer here in MB really start to hit the apples after the first frost.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Mass and I huntaround a lot of crabb apples and I got to tell you the deer really tear them up. I find that you don't have to wait until the first frost for them to really start comming to them. But the trick is they have to really be airomatic in other words starting to rot. For early season what I found works great for me is I take a bunch home and put them in the micro wave oven till they turn and then take them back out to my stand area and spread them about 25 yards from my stand. I tell ya they start working right away. I shot 3 deer like this last year by Nov. 1. And not a deer was using these apples until I put out the micro waved apples. Give it a try I hope it works for you and good luck.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:43 AM

something that I find that works. If you know the deer are there take a bag of apples home with you. cut them in half. Add the apples to a bucket of water that is mixed with some sugar. Let them soak for a 24-48hrs then go dump out the apples in your stand location. dump the water sugar mixture as well.
I find this works really well in attracting the deer.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM

I live in missouri where baiting is illegal. Do you think this might be considered baiting? I would like to try this.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Spike

Baiting is illegal in GA too but is modifying what is naturally produced considered baiting? I mean you can grow corn sunflowers then cut it down but that isn't considered baiting. Maybe though if you added something like sugur to whatever that would be considered baiting.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

ballerttown,

First, what does your handle mean? Is this an attempt at respect?

What part of Ga are you from? I am a Southern man my own self and you should know that we are basically surrounded by Yankees on this board. But what you must keep in mind is that we are simply acting as missionaries to them and that they are Yankees by no fault of their own. many of them you will even find entertaining.

I am fond of crabapple trees and hunting near them can be productive South Ga until around November. Best of luck and I hope all is well with your family.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I have Crab Apples and Wild Persimmons on my place, they are a deer magnet!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Spike

TopDawg,

About the handle it came about when I was in high school cause I used to play alot of basketball and played on a church team from a town called TyTy so we used to call it T-Town hence the name. (It was the only thing close to something I wanted to use on AOL so it's stuck ever since).

I'm from South Georgia even though I spent 6 years (one B.S and one M.S degree) in Athens at UGA. I hunt in South Ga though.