Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

black bear eating

Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 AM

Default black bear eating

Was wondering how many of you eat black bear. This fall I have the opportunity for a mixed bag hunt here in CA, blacktail deer and can also get a bear tag. Lots of bear around here. Personally, I have a rule that I don't kill anything that I can't (or won't) eat. I don't hunt for trophies is what I'm saying but if someone else does it doesn't bother me. Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you eat black bear and how it is? I'm sure there are many opinions, and I'm sure the meat varies with the age of the animal, region it was taken in, what it had been eating, etc. But I'd like to get a general idea from anybody here who has an opinion. Also, is it difficult to find a butcher who will butcher a black bear? Do most of them do it?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: black bear eating

I think bear is great! It just needs to be cooked properly. Make sure that every ounce of fate & grizzle it trimmed off before cooking and marinate, marinate, marinate!
Otherwise it will be like shoe leather. I usually trim it up and let it soak in salt water or Coca Cola (of all things) for an entire day. I then cook it in a stew or like a pot roast in a crock pott for a day w/ potatoes, carrots, etc. I have also done it in one of those oven bags... That was excellent too.
My buddy makes a stir fry with it which is pretty good too.
As for the butcher, I don't see why they won't cut it up for you. There are 2 around here that both do bear every year.
I hope this helps. You'll want to hunt them every year now! Good luck!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM

Bear meat is deliscious. I like to cut it into thin strips, marinate it, and grill it. MMMM MMMM GOOD!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

YUM YUM
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Yummy! .... yummy??? Thats the second time today I said that word. I think somthing is wrong with me! [8D]
Old 03-09-2005, 05:32 PM

I ahve had it once and it was great!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 PM

I was leary at first too but when i took out that first pack of steaks and threw them on a hot frying pan with butter i was amazed. A young bear is just as good as a young deer.