Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Garbage eating bear, Ulster co NY >

Garbage eating bear, Ulster co NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Garbage eating bear, Ulster co NY

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Garbage eating bear, Ulster co NY

Ok here is the situation...

I live on a very private road. There are 3 houses total on our street. There is NYS land all around us. My neighbor which is 1000 feet away from my new log home I just built in Kingston, NY runs a daycare out of her house. Apparently the town does not know about this and it is not a "legal" daycare... Anyway....... the garbage gets picked up every Friday morning. She leaves her can outside all week and just throws all the trash into it as she sees fit. By tuesday the can is overflowing and they actually put the bags of trash on the ground! Well..... the bears found it. They are making a huge mess in the street and in her yard as well as across the street. The bears actually poop in the road which looks like elephant turds. The kids at daycare are on the swing sets which are about 50 feet from this trash. What should and what can be done about this? She has been told by the land owner across the street to pick up her trash but does not listen. Any help is appreciated
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Garbage eating bear, Ulster co NY

I live in Kingston currently. Call DEC, report the garbage mess. They will send someone out. The local regional office is in New Paltz. Bears are doing this everywhere. At my parent's home further North this is a daily occurence in the town.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Hi neighbor!!!

this isn't the bears fault so I wouldn't want the DEC to come and shoot it or anything.. This lady has no regard for her trash nor to clean it up. It looks like a pig pen and the bear is having the time of his life. The bear has yet to come into my yard and has not gotten into my trash yet... I put mine out either that morning or the night before but it is never overflowing like her can is.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would give a call to DEC anyway. Of course they will realize this is not the bear's fault, but the fault of the owner of the garbage. It is people like her that encourage the bear problem which ultimately leads to the bears having to be destroyed or carted out of the area which takes time and money.

The issue of the lack of cleaning up their property is also in the realm of DEC's policies and they will issue the appropriate citations if necessary and maybe light a little fire under her butt to get her to clean up her mess.

Tell them that you are concerned that the bear will become a problem in the community if this is not taken care of. It is still early enough that the bear is not used to being fed by the garbage constantly and it may leave your area alone if it disappears.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I am pretty sure it's a little late for the bear to not realize there is an easy meal waiting across the street
Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Again, call DEC or DEP if you live in the watershed. She is littering and creating problems. This is in their realm of care.

If the bear must be disposed of or shot with rubber rounds (a joke IMO) then its on her conscience. There is no other way.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a bear license.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Typical Buck

I WOULD DEFFINATELY USE THIS TO MY ADVANTAGE! I doubt a game warden anywhere on this earth could find it possible to write me a ticket for hunting over the neighbors trash can
Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Call the POLICE....UCSO, KPD, whoever covers your area...demand that they interview you first. Explain it to them...