Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Handgun Caliber

Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Handgun Caliber

I'd personally "wait another year" for the 41 or 44mag. Yes, the 357 will kill a deer, but a 22lr has also taken them too. See my point? You, as a responsible sportsman, owe it to the deer to use a caliber that will take one as quickly and humane as possible. Its just my opinion, shot-placement with the 357 is very critical and the margin for error should just shout, "its not worth it". As for the 41 or 44 "breaking your wrist"? You may be surprised. I'd suggest trying to find someone that has either of these calibers and see if they'll let you shoot it. Then, you'll know for sure if they're too much for you to be accurate with or not. As long as its not a hot load, the recoil from a factory load in 41 or 44 will get your attention, but it'll not "break your wrist". In short, I guess what I'm saying is, deer season is aways away and you've got plenty of time to do some research. Good luck and I wish you the best.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whitehair I have both a Ruger Super Blackhawk and a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Rem. Mag. The Blackhawk is a western style revolver with much less weight than it's big brother, the Redhawk. Because of the weight differential, the Blackhawk's felt recoil is greater than the big Redhawk. I would suggest trying the Redhawk in 44 mag. With some competent instruction and practice I think you will enjoy the big Redhawk and most likely purchase one in 44 mag.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Legacy357

buddy of mine took a buck with his 357 at 120 yards! believe it or not! he aimed about foot and a half over the back and hit it in the spine and dropped it in his tracks. he was shooting off a rest but hell of a shot. i carried my 357 this year and should have shot a doe at about 20 yards with it but chickened out and grabbed my rifle
your friend was irresponcible to shoot a deer at that range with that gun. .
like shooting one with a 22 rimfrie at 100 yards. or any yardage with a 22.
Hell of a shot, nah! Great shot, definitly nah! A stupid, lucky, irresponsible shot, yes!
Yehaw, BillyJoeBob!
If'n it's good'nuff fer some guy on the internet's friend then let's jes all go do it! Yes siree willickers, I'm ajisting ma sites right now! A hunert yards ya say?
It's not an ethical violation in my book if the shooter knows his limitations. Some people have the capabilities to make fairly long distance pistol shots on a very consistent basis. If his friend is one of those people, it wasn't an unethical shot. On the other hand, if it was "Hold my beer, I wonder if I can nail that deer over " kinda deals, then yes it was an unethical shot. Without more to go on, we really can't say for sure one way or the other.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:05 AM

This may be a stupid thought, but as far as I am aware, most if not all states require you to be 21 to puchase a handgun. Being 15, you might want to check your local regulations and see if it is legal for you to hunt with a handgun.

Now, safety police aside...

Personaly, I would recommend the .41 mag. to you. Better bullets, larger bullets, more energy, and in my experience, more reliable than the .357 in marginal situations.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 PM

get the .500 magnum