Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a tresspassing dog? >

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Shooting a trespassing dog may not be 'wrong' depending on your viewpoint... but.....

Stuff like this is great fuel for the anti-hunters.

Shot Dog
Old 02-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot'em I say. I have a standing rule, if I see a dog in the woods and no one nearby, well doggies go to heaven when they die, right?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I would not shoot a dog unless I felt a threat from the animal!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand its a felony to shoot a dog in Alabama even if it is running deer.
a lot of alabama still allows deer hunting with dogs, at one time (1970-80's) only 7 counties in bama didn't allow dog hunting, i say it's time to join the 21st century
Old 02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
bigcountry

Stuff like this is great fuel for the anti-hunters
No wonder we fight such uphill battles with these folks.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmm that is actually a good question. I love dogs myself definetly. I guess it was really depend on the situation is the best way i could answer. If my nephew (whom is 7) was attack by a dog, stray or someone's pet, i would shoot it yes. If it was just it on my property but no small children would be around, no i wouldn't shoot it unless it attacked someone, that would be the only time.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:42 AM

NO!!! First off, let me say, I AM A DOG HUNTER and damn proud of it. However, I am a responsible dog hunter. We have a 6000 acre tract of land to run our dogs on, with 70% of the bordering land being still hunted. I visit with each adjoning land owner and or hunting lease holder prior to the season, give them all my contact information and ask if there is anything we can do to assist them, we invite them over to the clubhouse for a BBQ so we can all get to know one another. We do not intentionally run our dogs prior to 9:00 am or after 3:00 pm on the tracts bordering our still hunting neighbors. These still clubs/hunters will now catch our dogs and call us to come get them or simply bring them to the clubhouse and put them in our dogpen. Now, for the SOB's who give dog hunting a bad name. We call them hedgerow hunters. They will get permission to hunt a 50 acre tract simply for a place to cast their dogs knowing they are going to run everyone else's land. Deal with the dog's owner, don't do harm to the dog. I hunt both NC & SC and both states have laws that will hold you very responsible for doing harm to the dogs. They also have laws that will assist you in stopping the intentional trespass. If you have respectible dog hunting clubs in your area, contact them for assistance. They don't like the damn hedgerow hunter any more than you do!
Old 02-26-2005, 01:58 PM

bow i wouldent, my ol man back in the 90s wacked a dog with his bow, the dog limped back to his owner. luckly my ol man never got busted but the owner made damn sure that dog was chained up. shotgun or smoke pole, hell yeah! theres a leash law where i come from. dont follow the rules, oh well.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:30 PM

Question for those of you so quick to shoot a trespassing dog;

Since when do animals know property boundaries?

Your answer;

It's the owners problem not mine.

My reply;

So you're going to hold the animal accountable for thw owner's lack of responsibility? You're going to kill that animal so it doesn't "contaminate" your hunting area? That's horrible. Those of you willing to shoot a trespassing dog make me sick. That's someone's pet. Someone cares for that animal.

Another question;

How would you feel if it were your dog?

Your reply;

My dog wouldn't do that, I pay attention and can control my dog.

My reply;

So again, you're going to hold the animal accountable for the owners irrespnsibility?

Like I said, this makes me sick.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

On the property i hunt on there are dogs that run deer on occasion. usually they are the landowners daughter in law's so even though it makes me angry i dont shoot. she is an aniaml lover and wont tie the dogs up, im glad she doesnt own the property. It seems only to effect teh deer when they are being chased, not ruin the day. That being said i delt with a wolf-dog cross from a neighboring property. I was still huntint and heard somthing, i turned and he was on my trail. He looked up and growled and came at me. The situation was resolved ant 15 paces with my 30-06.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.