Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a tresspassing dog? >

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Here is a REAL situation here in Kansas, and a big problem that many landowners are starting to face. Tresspassing dogs!

Hunters without permission will let their trained dogs out on the road and then let them run a piece of property out. These dogs are primarily used for 2 reasons, running deer out of a neighboring property, or to hunt and run the coyotes down until the dog catches them and kills them. And even though the dog owners intentionally let the dogs out, they are not breaking any laws, since the law refers to "persons tresspassing".

I discussed these situations with my cousin who is a conservation officer, and he says he consistently gets calls from landowners who complain about this. And yet when he talks to the dog owners, he cannot do anything to them, because a law was not broken, since dogs technically can't be controlled. It seems the landowners are now taking the law into their hands by taking the expensive collars off the dogs(if they happen to be there) or just shooting them.

Are there any other deerhunters or landowners experiencing this problem? If so, what are you doing to solve it? What is your opinion on it?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassers dog?

How about grab the dog and when the owner comes to get him you have him arrested for tresspassing.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:54 AM

I love dogs but will not tolerate them running loose. Shoot em bury em and that's that, no body knows where that damn dog went. darn. . . .
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it were to happen a few times might just have to do the three S's.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:08 PM

But remember....those dogs are someone's pet, an extension of the family, quite possibly a dog that someone spent thousands of dollars on training. LOL!! Too bad! Keep tabs on your dog if you'd like it to stay around a little longer.

What are the 3 S's Charlie? Shoot, Shhhh, Shovel ?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 PM

I don't know that there is a simple answer. I certainly feel that its not right to blame the dog(shoot it) for something that is not its responsibility. And I know for a fact that no matter what I do, I cannot control my dog 100% of the time. No one can unless they are penned 24/7 which seems like abuse to me. I do know I'd do everything in my control to penalize the owners. I've talked with our rural neighbors and asked them to let me know if somehow our dogs manage onto their land at some point. Deal with me, not them. I certainly would not like to see my wife take on someone who shot one of her dogs.

Anyway I think its all a case of poor laws in KS, and non communication. Which is a big fault for lots of issues.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2005, 12:21 PM

Have you tried talking to the dog owners themselves.
Remeber, unless they are wild dogs, the dogs you see are just doing what they are supposed to do. They are trained to chase a certain animal. They do not know they are tress. like someone said, these could be someones pet, or very expensive dog. I would try to deal with the jacka** owners, not the dog.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

id probly love to but i wouldnt
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 PM

Riverbottom....that was a "sarcastic" point made on my part.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i can over-look the incedental dog coming across my property, where the problem starts is with problem dogs, if they turned out there dogs every sat. morning me and somebody would be having a good talk. if there pets talk to the owners, i do the best i can to keep mine up but they do perform jail breaks every now and then and if there causing a problem i'd like to know first. if the dogs are left to run wild which is not uncommon around here i say eliminate the problem, i would leave the dog shootin as a last resort, but some people have no regard for there "pets" well being..and don't care what i'll effects it has on your property, ie livestock, they can chase a calf once but if its an everyday ocourance spot has to go.. sorry[&o]

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a tresspassing dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.