Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Simple Ethics

Old 02-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Simple Ethics

Ok the "should ethics be taught in hunter ed class" got me to thinking. What are your simple ethics and what do you think should be taught in a hunters ed class.

If you are going to teach it. Honestly I'm not to sure they should.

Here's a couple I feel would be on the list.

1. You shoot it you track it until you know it can't be recovered or it's still alive.

2.When in doubt don't shoot.

3.Leave only foot prints,take some garbage with you.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Simple Ethics

Those are certainly the most basic. I think that peer pressure should also be increased to maintain proper ethics. I also feel that the recent decline in some people's ethics are the fact that so much land is being snapped up and posted drastically reducing the amount of available hunting grounds. When I first started hunting, you rang a doorbell, introduced yourself and politely asked for permission to hunt the land. You either got a yes or no. Now your threatened with trespassing before you even get to the door. I can somewhat understand this around someone's home but not out in the woods where there is nothing around for hundreds or thousands of acres.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Charlie,
Awhile back you asked me what my ethics were and I posted what mine were.
I also think it should be common sense and a little good judgement as the times are changing.
Look at some of the hunting show's of the past and you see a deer strapped on the hood of a car. In today's world I can't see how that would benefit hunting. I can't see throwing it into the publics eye like that. Sure where I live hunting is part of the economy and life and it has a place and is more acceptable. But not in NYC.
Just like the Gay thing. Fine be Gay I don't care.
But just don't throw some parade with a bunch of half clothed Men and Women kissing and carrying on.
Just not good common sense.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Charlie, those three items are a very good start to hunter ethics!
Other than those, I am a firm believer in obeying game laws. Many laws are different from state, to state. Or even region, to region. I don't have a problem with that! Obey the game laws of your area, not just the ones you agree with!
I also agree with what I'd call "courtesy ethics!" The dead deer on car tops, and distasteful Tee shirts, among other things, do nothing to promote our sport!
Remember, hunters are a minority, and I think that the anti's are an even smaller minority! It is the non-hunting, neutral, majority, that will eventually decide the fate of hunting in the future! Deliberatly doing things to offend them is not only un-ethical, it is unhealthy for the sport of hunting!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

# 4 Should be. If you didn't put the stand up you should never be in it !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:20 PM

I agree with you charlie, however ethics cannot be taught. Ethics are personal and they are not set in stone. of course there are a lot of ethics that many people belive in, but you can never get everyone to belevie in the same things.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

A agree with the original 3, and would add

The size of the rack should not influence whether you take a shot or not
Passing a shot is OK. I CAN'T STAND people who start out by saying "I made a bad shot, but it was the only one I had"[:@]
And to bawanajims.....if you hang a stand and hardly hunt it, don't expect it to "reserve" your spot for all time.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Ok the "should ethics be taught in hunter ed class" got me to thinking. What are your simple ethics and what do you think should be taught in a hunters ed class.

Here's a couple I feel would be on the list.

1. You shoot it you track it until you know it can't be recovered or it's still alive.

2.When in doubt don't shoot.

3.Leave only foot prints,take some garbage with you.
Sounds like good rules to me. Some other rules I like:

[ul][*] Never wear your dirty hunting clothes in public. Always carry a clean set to look presentable when going to eat, Wal-Mart, etc.[*] Don't put your stand and feeders RIGHT ON the fenceline.[*] Keep vehicles on maintained roads.[*] Don't strap the deer on the hood or anything similar. A lot of people don't like seeing dead animals.
[/ul]
Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

respect others property (do not trespass)

respect your quarry (no bloody pics, head shots, etc.)
Old 02-21-2005, 12:29 AM

--- You kill it you clean it
--- Leave the woods as quiet as you came in (unless you have bambies dad's antlers raking the trees)
--- Poaching is as bad as THE ORIGINAL SIN
--- "Hunt where you want unless you are not wanted"
--- Dont let others pressure you into shooting something you wont be proud of

Quick Reply: Simple Ethics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.