Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gutting

Old 02-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gutting

All deer are carried to the skinning shed where we have water, winch, concrete floor and a walk in cooler.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 PM

We always gut our deer where they drop with one exception. We have one excellent old apple orchard that we hunt only out of stands. When we get one, we'll take a 4 wheeler to retrieve the deer. Then we'll load it in a truck and take it up the road a couple of miles to state land then field dress. We have an awful coyote problem and we figure we don't need to be drawing them into the orchard. 9 ot of 10 times wherever we gut a deer, the gut pile will be gone by the next day.

Mr. .45-70
Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Always gut mine in the field, makes easier to drag back. I stop at the membrane between the intestines and the vitals. That way you can leave the heart and liver in until you get out and gives you two less things to carry. Then once out of the woods, the job can be finished.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the field.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I gut mine where they fall, which the hunt clubs frown on here in SC. They want you to take them to the club house or skinning shed to gut and skin them.I prefer to do it the way I have done it for years in Wis.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:35 PM

I gut mine as soon as I find it. That makes the drag easier. plus it is quite interesting
Old 02-18-2005, 11:58 PM

Allways gut it out in the field. It makes it lighter to carry and it will help save your meat. Do this asap!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:33 PM

carry it back to camp and gut it, with blood and guts on the ground.coyotes and buzzards will take over, i know with the deer smelling human scent, their alerted,just think about it with blood and guts left on the ground.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:40 PM

I always dress in the field. It starts the cooling process much faster. I also wear two pairs of gloves. A pair of nitril gloves, and a pair of shoulder length gloves over them. A few years back I cut my finger with my knife. Just a small cut. Well, I picked up something from the deer's blood. Spent three weeks on heavy anti-biotics, and very close to the bathroom. Stuff was coming out both ends non stop. Also spent a couple days in the hospital getting IV and more anti biotics. I am going to do my best never to go through that again. The nitril gloves were the doctors idea. They are not cut proof, but more so than your skin.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 PM

at camp. Shoot em, load em on 4 wheeler/truck, gut then hang (or hang then gut for some of the guys).

I wouldnt want a pile of guts in front of my stand unless im all tagged out.

Mat

Quick Reply: Gutting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.