Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not for weak stomach!

Old 02-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Default RE: Not for weak stomach!

ROTFLMBO

I'll second that.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Maineguide5424

jci63,
That's what happens when you post something for a bunch of amateurs. I've seen wounds like that from 30-06's to .300 Win.s.

These guys saying it looks like a predator kill or a roadkill have probably never seen a dead deer that wasn't beside the road.

lots of people with lots of different opinions---and I'm sure some are amateurs, but please don't act like you have more experience than many of us--even though you must be from Maine (impressive) and a guide (real impressive) at that by your handle
Old 02-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

jci63,
That's what happens when you post something for a bunch of amateurs. I've seen wounds like that from 30-06's to .300 Win.s.

These guys saying it looks like a predator kill or a roadkill have probably never seen a dead deer that wasn't beside the road.

Possibly, the deer in Main are all bloated with gas and explode on impact. You said 30-06 to .300 Wins. Do you only see this phenomenon with .30 cal bullets? If so, I think I would trade my 30-30 for a .35 Rem if I ever hunt in Main.

How many tags are required for a Michigan buck? If that big silver shiny thing is a tag, then what is the other tag for?

C. Davis
Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st - I do believe it's a legit wound from 7mm. What better place for such a wound to occur than shoulder.

2nd - For the life of me I don't see the need to post such a graphic picture. Perfect ammo for ANTI'S lurking on the MB.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:02 PM

I believe it and have seen similar results. I shot a buck about 5-6 years ago that was sharply quartering away at about 80yds. I went for the neck shot, but missed and just skimmed him from his ribs up through the shoulder. Basically unzipped his hide from the backbone down to midway of the cavity. It was quite unbelievable. The "hole" was the size of 2 footballs side by side. Wierd things can and do happen.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 PM

My friend shot at a doe last season. The bullet nipped a twig and started expanding by the time it hit the deer it had a hole that big.