Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what works best for you?

Old 02-08-2005, 09:33 PM

Default what works best for you?

What has helped you bag that trophy buck? I went with some of my buddys last year for the first time after I got out of the marines. It had been a while since I hunted before that. we went around looking for bucks in the many clear cuts we have in the mountains here in washington. This year I would rather do something that would require a little more skill than that. What do you do to get your buck?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what works best for you?

Buck scent glands.Skin the hind leg and tie to your shoe lace.Nothing compares to the real thing.I don't shoot does,there is no open season for the in the part of British Columbia that I hunt but if I did I'd collect the doe urine (expecially when their in heat) in a bottle and use it as well.
I use this technique on my glassing and stalking technique.
Another thing I use is camo clothing,and paint. I understand in alot of areas your required to wear blaze orange and thats understandable.But the way I see it if the Army and Police Force use it whyshouldn't hunters.
I make my own clothing patterns that blend in with the surroundings that I hunt.I have yet to see a commercial pattern that blends in with any
surrounding that I hunt.So to keep the cost of the clothing affordable we(with the help of my wife) create our own designs and patterns.They are very crude looking but they do work.
The most important though is a good pair of binoculars and lessons on how to use them efficiently and effectivley.
It doesn"t matter if one carries a pair of high class glass if he cannot spot game with them,the chances of geeting a Trophy Buck in his life time
has dwindled dramatically.
Scouting.Spring time I feel, is better than summer because snow is still laying around in upper levels and it gives the hunter
the advantage of where the deer could be in the fall on snow covered terrain.
I forgot about conditioning,thats common sense.The big ones are going to be wear people aren"t.
Hunting in areas where there is high buck to doe ratios atleast 20 bucks to every 100 does should give the hunter a good chance of finding a good size deer.
These have all techniques that I've used to get some quality deer over the years.However even though I've shot some big bucks,I have yet to get one thats netted the min requirement to make B&C
Old 02-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what works best for you?

100's of hours of scouting. Live like a deer.