Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tracking

Old 01-15-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Tracking

Shot a doe this afternoon at around 4pm and began tracking for shortly after. I searched the area in which i thought it had run and even further then that. I looked at the spot where the deer was shot, I found no sign of blood but i was pretty sure the deer was hit by the kick of the legs when it jumped and then staggered off. No sign of blood though and i searched until i ran out of daylight but was cold enough to where it should be okay until morning. I was aiming high shoulder and it was about a 50 yard shot. Any suggestions to help me find my deer?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tracking

High chest shots often do not bleed nearly as much as heart or low chest shots and sometimes no blood is present for a considerable distance.I would be more inclined to judge whether of not the deer was hit by the deers reaction rather than the lack of blood.As to finding the deer I would go back to the place where the deer was last seen and start searching the area in the direction the deer was last seen heading.If you can recruit a few extra people you can spread out and cover the area in a grid pattern.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 AM

if there is not a blood trail it maybe all in the chest cavity, you sound pretty sure you hit it good, if its hit good and is dying it'll proberly take the easyest way out of there. If it was on a deer trail I'd follow it and look to the sides of it. it's gonna go to where it feels safe and use familar routes, or easy routes I get alot of practice at this because mine dont like to stay put after I shoot them
Old 01-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Carry a piece of a roll of tissue paper and when you find a speck of blood, hair or any other evidence put a sheet on the ground. It is helpful on those slow meticulous tracking time to regain the known route.