Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Calling

Old 01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Deer Calling

I want to thank everyone for the replys. I hunt at a WMA in Central Florida and believe me those bay heads are similiar to a cotton tail hiding in a briar patch.This year I walked up on a mess of hogs about 20 yards away and could not see them. They froze in the palmettos and slowly disappeared. There are only a couple of consisted hunters there. All of those hunters had the same response,"you must use calls." When I ask them all their best overall call it was always the same, aPrimos can, Most bayheads are miles thick. A matter of fact 100;sof hunters are still looking for a lost hunter who was lost 4 weeks ago.using 2 helecopters, horses ,and volunteers. Anyway on my next trip I used a Primos can mixed with God's Word and prayer and took a spike buck. He responded in less than 20 minutes. We have tons of signs in this 58 square mile WMA but very few are shot. I had only posted to see if their were any other calls used at either bow season and if ahyone scores consistently using other calls.
Just trying to beat the odds,
Chuck
Old 01-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Calling

Chuck , Calling is far more active in the Pre Rut, then the rest of it. Timing plays a large roll on being successfull more often then not.

Do you hunt private land or management ? ...BT
Old 01-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer Calling

I hunt at a very crowed Management area filled wirh snakes and gators in Cypress domes and at times careless hunters. For instance I stayed all day in a stand for that precious last hour. At 5o someone fired about 50 rounds into a tree. Sadly, hunters in that area slowly went back to their trucks The leading trophy spot in Florida is WMA Eglin. I plan to hunt there next year. Is there any way of knowing the week that deer are rutting or going to rut? I do appreciate your comments. I'm a teacher and like to do my homework before each hunt.
One valuable tool I love is the satellite site. With prayer and common sense I found smaller cypress domes where deer may be seen crossing.
That, the blessing of God, a Primos can and a Marlin 30-30 put deer on the table. However the next day I heard deer 15 minutes after getting my Summit in the tree. I quickly did the Primos and never heard from the deer the rest of the day. So like you said,"timing is everything.: Someone later told me if"if you hear the deer ,don't use the call."
Just looking for an edge,
Chuck