Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Tracking Kit"

Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Tracking Kit"

I've mentioned a few times that I made a little "Tracking Kit" a few years back. I'd clipped a deer and was ill-prepared for a night tracking job. That one worked out good (in the end), but I felt HORRIBLE that night for not being more prepared.

I went the next day and bought a toolbox at Lowe's. I knew if I was going to shoot deer in the evenings.....I owed it to them to be prepared to track them. So....I made my own "tracking kit". Here's a photo of the tool box.

I keep this box in my building (could easily be kept in a truck too box or a car trunk)......and come and get it when I have one down in the evenings.

Opened up.....I have, inside:

1. Two way radios
2. Various lights for getting to the POI.
3. High Powered lithium powered lights for actual tracking
4. Spotlight for large area scanning
5. Toilet paper to mark blood with
6. Extra batteries

One of the flashlights is on a little tripod. When I leave to go home.....I plave this light at the POI or where I can best find my way back to the POI.....then set it pointing where I'll be coming from. Hard to lose your reference when there's a light shining at you when you come back.

I know some people like to use coleman lanterns and such...and that's fine. Use what works for you. The point is....be prepared.

Good luck this fall.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Bartender

Default RE: "Tracking Kit"

Not a bad Idea Jeff and I think I will make one for myself.
Anyone ever use those flashlights that make the blood stand out?
I cant think what they are called right now.

T
Old 08-31-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff thats very nice, well put together. It is nice being organized because if your like me you kind of loose your head in the excitement and cant find anything. But if it is already put together like yours then your set. very nice I have left flashlights at kill sight before to re find my quarry in the evenings to. I have now went to green glowsticks to hang on a limb in the evenings when i have one down and go for help, and hang a couple on the way back out/in so i can keep a line on where to drag on the way out. good post.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 AM

Right on Jeff. I usually carry a really good flashlight and a couple spares in my backpack. I also bring along TP incase I decide to back of and mark the last spot. Yes, I always have a radio with me, but its combined with my GPS so it never leaves my side....but usually I have at least one other person with me, so I don't really need the radio.

Having the right tools to track is almost as important as knowing how to track and read what the blood it telling you.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I toohave a system for tracking that resembles yours with just a few differences, I use flourescent orange flagging tape instead of toilet paper and it is real cheap for a roll at Lowe's, also I added a GPS that will help find your POI. I also use a lantern with a shield but this yearI will try out the blood tracking light that primos put out (I got it for X-Mas last year from my father in law).
Good job pointing this out, a lot of guys might not be thinking about the recovery yet!!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Curtis:

Ony thing about the flagging tape v. TP is......the TP is bio-degradable. I try to go back and pick it all up....but if I miss a speck here and there.....no biggie.

The GPS is a great idea for you guys hunting larger tracts......no doubt.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

good idea!

rick
Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

good idea Jeff! One little thing that maybe you could add would be a little spray bottle with peroxide in it! Great idea no doubt! I usually have everything thrown in my Jeep.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Excellent thread. Great idea. I have all that stuff with me but I've not put it all in one place such as the tool box like you did. That is a fine idea and the tool boxes can be had for less than $5 at Walmart.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: "Tracking Kit"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.