Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
And the outfitter called this hunting........ >

And the outfitter called this hunting........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

And the outfitter called this hunting........

Old 09-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: And the outfitter called this hunting........

This thread really just shows me that you can't lump everything into one catagory. Different circumstances can make big differences in what is hunting and what is harvesting!
I was invited to go on a hog bow hunt a few weeks back. It ended up being a high fenced, 250 acre area. These animals were fed, not from feeders but from a truck or 4 wheelers. These animals were practically tame, and came out to the sound of vehicles, instead of shying away from them. I feel that this was "harvesting"," not "hunting!"
I did not like this and will not go back!
On one hand, this is no different than going to a butcher shop, so if that is what you want to do and it is legal then go for it! Just don't try to pedal this off as "hunting" or try to tell people of your great "trophy!"
On the other hand people that do pedal this off as "trophy hunting" are disgusting, and they do disgrace true sport hunting!
Then, as I said different circumstances call for different conclusions!
Such as, hunting a 5000 to 10,000 acre high fenced ranch, were the animals are not "tame" IS hunting! These wild animals can be as hard to hunt as animals on open range land!
5 to 10,000 acres is a lots of territory and a WILD animal that does not want to be seen, could go for years without being shot!
So, you can't just say that ALL high fenced hunting is bad, or even ALL baiting is bad! It just depends.....
Frank
Old 09-06-2002, 03:52 PM

Sounds like an antlered version of a stocked fish pond to me. What the hell, if somebody wants to burn up a bunch of cash to kill a penned animal, what should I care. However, I absolutely, positively could not respect them as a hunter.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:06 PM

Hey Txbowhntr, I appologize sincerely, I am truly sorry for what I said, that was cruel to accuse you of such an aweful existence, I really feel bad. I would be completely irrate myself, please accept this public apology.

I have just seen so many threads like this started by trolls that come on outdoors websites and get all #ell broke loose. Before anyone realizes it, they been took.

Now about that challenge...hummm...how about you come down to Florida and hunt in my favorite spot and I go to Texas to your favorite spot...hehehe...and we see who gets the most deer in a season! It ain't even that funny man, this place is HHHARD to hunt.

I wish I had half the kinda hunting you guys have over there. We're working hard to get things going with the state game commission here and it looks like they may have finally come to the table with some serious thought about actually managing the deer herd. QDM or not, at least their starting to look at why the hunters are leaving the state.

Our buck to doe ratio on public land is anywhere from 1:10 up to 1:20, little or no visible rut and hunted so hard, the times I've seen mature bucks walk out in the open like you see in Bill Jordan videos, can be counted on one hand in 20yrs. They hug cover like spandex in a fat womans buttcrack. We have this stuff called the scrubs(20 foot tall, push thru thick, scrub oak) and they live in it. Similar to what I see in Texas video's minus any sendero's.

Anyway, I apologize. All you had to say to hurt me where it counts was, "I hunt in Texas and you don't"hehehe...Good hunting and may your aim be true to its mark.

Phillip Griggs Moss Bluff, Florida
Old 09-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Well, when a guy thinks killing docile animals is a good thing while equating it IN ANY WAY with sport, I say the guy and what he does are both danged pathetic. I don't care if it is legal. Now don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong at all with Mr. Purdue raising and then slaughtering chickens. But should he ever call himself a bird hunter I'm gonna think he's pretty doggone pathetic.

Old 09-06-2002, 10:31 PM

My biggest problem with that type of operation is that it is referred to as hunting. And when these type of "hunts" are shown and talked about by the media, it hurts the rest of us. The guys who pay for those type of operations, and the guys that own them could care less how true hunting is affected.

-Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night-
Old 09-07-2002, 02:43 AM
usa
Fork Horn

well.. I don't have any use personnaly for fenced hunt's, but I don't see much difference between fenced hunt's and hunt's where you sit your lazy butt in a blind and wait for the feeder to go off, as far as I'm concerned you don't have any more bragging right's to that rack then you would from a fenced hunt. In my opinion any hunt that involves feeding or feeder's , other than planted food plot's is just a tad harder than then choosing your meat at a supermarket, go ahead boy's take your best shot !! usahunter

2-Gun
Old 09-07-2002, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The individuals that shoot deer this way probably hang them on the wall and bragg about a great hunt.I could never be proud of taking an animal this way.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:54 AM

appparently the high fence ranch is a big business down here in texas, mostly because the quality of our wild deer sucks horribly. the operation that tx was talking about sounds like nothing like a real hunt, but some of the other high fence ranches are more like real hunting....i think....
Old 09-07-2002, 11:39 AM

If the guy is charging $7500 for a 150 class whitetail, and gettign customers, there must be a demand for this "service".
Whould I do it? No. But if the guy is raising his deer in his fence, and wants to have people shoot them, fine.....matterialistic, but fine. It IS a free (somewhat free at least) country.
Keeping his deer in his fence should not spread CWD...but they SHOULD be tested for when one DOES leave (harvested).
Kinda sounds like going to the farm and shooting a cow (gonna mount that?).
It's sad that people WILL pay that kind of cash to shoot "docile" animals. I would suspect that these are the same types who buy Harley Davidson Jackets, but have no bike....they just want that image.
Could you imagine the humiliation if you were to claim you got that on a "real" hunt ...then your buddies found out you shot it in that manner?
Don't like it. Don't want it. But it ain't my business HOW he wants to kill his deer (key word...HIS)
Old 09-08-2002, 07:43 PM

Ya thats what I think of high fence hunting...ALL high fence hunting.

Quick Reply: And the outfitter called this hunting........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.