Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
And the outfitter called this hunting........ >

And the outfitter called this hunting........

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

And the outfitter called this hunting........

Old 09-04-2002, 01:49 PM

Default And the outfitter called this hunting........

I was on my lunch break and happened to see this truck next to me that had an outfitter advertizment on it. We'll call it "Slob" for fear of liable and slander!

I walk over to the "Slob" and introduce myself and inquire about his services. He proceeds to tell me that he operates a 400 acre high fenced ranch that's just chalk full of record book bucks. As the "Slob" begins explaining his set up and prices I'm blown away.

He proceeds to tell me his hunts are guaranteed, no kill, no fee and that many of his deer are already purchased. He sends out videos of deer and lets you choose which one you want to shoot. In addition, he says he is really set up for the bow hunter because the animals are so docile that he can get them to come in really close.

Now, I had to open my big mouth and tell him what I thought, thus starting a huge blow out. He starts yelling at me about how tough it is to even see bucks of this quality, it's well worth the money, 7500 for a 150 class buck, and bla bla bla.

I'm blown away with what some people consider hunting. To me this is like shooting them in a pen.

Had to vent a little.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: And the outfitter called this hunting........

I would never do it personally but some people would like to and that is there choice. That guy is just trying to make a living and doesn't need anyone telling him whats right or wrong when he is succesfully raking in that much money, or even if he wasn't making money it doesn't matter. He is not taking away from your deer herd. Doing that to him is the same thing as antis harrassing us hunters. I do not think it would be fun for me and would not do it but i respect their opinions and let them do what they want.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:49 PM
Spike

WOW,I cant believe that anyone wants to shoot a deer (in a 400 acre pen,loaded with big big bucks)for 7500$.I also cant believe the response from "thenuge15" ,these are the guys (outfitters)that spread CWD! Outfitters are fair chace hunters ,in my opinion,who know how to put their clients in an area for an opertunity to "see" a trophy buck.This guy that txbohntr is talkin about is "NOT" an outfitter!!
Old 09-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Presonally I have to agree with thenuge15 ,What someone raises on thier own property is thier business . Just because you don't agree doesn't make it wrong . Thier are a lot of people that don't agree with hunting in general ,but that doesn't make them right either only in thier minds .
Old 09-04-2002, 04:31 PM

I see nothing wrong with raising deer, BUT i see ALOT of things wrong with letting people shoot them inside a pen, and 7500 for a 150class bucks is overpriced in my opinion, i mean sure thats a really big buck but it seems they are getting to be more common, i penned hunt saps everything out of the "hunt" except the antlers and thats all these guys are after, and ill admit i dont keep the meat from my deer i give it to friends or neighbors and i am really just after the anlter but i would never kill a deer or any other creature inside a cage,

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 09-04-2002, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

i know of spots that have 150 class bucks on PA state game lands! 150 class buck..thats nothing these days...ive seen a few 150+ers and im only 15...never in rifle season while hunting but ive seen them on public land and one for sure over 150 on state game lands...! and 400 acres is truely nothing for todays standards....my uncle has a farm its 400 acres and it is pretty small...i cant believe he comes out and said it like that...high fenced...deer bought...thats just sick...someone pays 7500 and shoots a 150class buck which is a nice trophy...hang it on the wall and you never know they took it like that...sick....now the huge huge farms with now fences..ect just well fed deer and maybe the farmer lets you pay him so much to hunt his land i can see...that to me is still fair chase...even though you payed for the hunt you still had to hunt and there wernt any fences and no bought deer...thats my view...

Old 09-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably would have reacted the same way txbowhntr did!

And speaking of the "anti's" , that type of fenced in slaughter is exactly the type of fuel that adds flame to their fire.

"Nocked,cocked & ready to rock"
Old 09-04-2002, 06:10 PM

txbowhntr-thenuge has made a good point,to each his own!!I know that i dont like being bothered by the anti's marching arount parking lots yelling at me about hunting.I'm sure the outfitter feels the same way.We have to respect each other.

And i dont think it's fair to lay blame on high fence hunting for CWD.If we start pointing fingers,where does it stop?After baiting,food plots,feeders have all been banned.Our game population has increased considerablly.Is'nt it natures way,it was long before i was born.If you think about it.Its probobly us hunters who spread it,going to an infected area shooting game bringing it back home,then infecting animals here.Nobody wants to take the blame for it.I had a guy from N Dakota tell me yesterday that Fish and Wildlife Services in Co. turned many PEN raised elk loose into the wild several years ago.

One thing is for sure....This is going to bring new laws into effect.Outfitters will have to test there animals.The buying and selling of animals will be watched more closely.We all need to join togather to beat this disease instead of standing devided on who's to blame.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 09-04-2002, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no knowledge of high fence hunting. Never did it, never care to. I do have a friend who has a 100 acre high fence for raising whitetails, no hunting though. I do know this....those deer in that 100 acre pen are more spooky than deer in the wild. It is tough to even get a glimpse of them without having my buddy circle around while I hide. They want no part of humans.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 09-04-2002, 07:00 PM

Frankly, this thread sounds like it was created by peta-heads and anti's, for petaheads and anti's. The idea is to get all to react, so they can record the response and also to have fun. Careful what you say, the forum is open to anyone. Dissection, upheaval in the ranks and incremental reduction is their goal. Word to your mother.....earth that is........... We hunters invented conservation and are it's greatest champions!!!!!

Quick Reply: And the outfitter called this hunting........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.