Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Calling

Old 01-14-2005, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Deer Calling

I would rattle them in. Once they are close but not close enough gently tap on the rattle to lure them in. My favorite call during rut is either rattle or the bleat in heat. I got an 8 pointer last year with the bleat in heat. Rattling is also a good idea. Once while I was rattling I attracted a doe. Maybe she wanted to mate and see if they were the right ones. Who knows. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Calling

Years back I decided to play with this topic and have found I'm more successfull with grunting and rattling. As far as rattling I used a number of different things and have found that the best tools were 2 sheds with different size mass. I have a little basket 6 point side and a heavyer 8 point side. This combo gives 2 tones in a rattling sequence. Sucess seemed to more common with this setup of tools. I also call with the Quakerboy's Hammer grunt tube, although it does change tone as the end will screw in or out , I have found in this area having the tube out tends to be far more productive.

All areas are different , and I'm sure from State to State as Canada to the Us will all be on a different part of the season. Because one place has a rut , don't really mean that another 4 hours away will be the same. Although Deer communicate on the most part of the season , deer tend to be more responsive at the rutting period of the area.

There are different things one can do to help out your chances in hunting and calling and in Florida feeders are a normal thing. As does and fawns tend to visit these places for feed at some time the does have to go into esterus , this will trigger the Bucks to follow and make the chances of the caller become a little better. If one don't have the capabilities of a feeder , then the thought of a Food plot maybe a good idea as it will produce the same output, as the feeders.

Learning the proper time of the rut in our any one area is important , spending time in the area up too the rut is important to see just how movement and rutting periods are. I have noticed that calling tend to produces better a week before the hard Rut or (Rut as most would call it)

Calling to deer to close can work agaist the caller , as they tend to beable to pick out the spot in which a call has come from and as stated above become wize to calling. The same appys to getting busted when a deer comes to range after hearing the calling form the hunter.

Don't get stuck on using the same sequence every time you enter you hunting area, change your calling skills and try different things.

Here's a pic of this passed fall of the first time in a stand that I hit the right time for calling and spend about an hour in the stand...BT