Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Share your first time you killed your first deer. >

Share your first time you killed your first deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Share your first time you killed your first deer.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:41 AM

Default RE: Share your first time you killed your first deer.

It was in 2003 and it was the 1st day of shotgun season, on the way to our stands we seen about 5-6 deer running away through the woods, As me and my dad sat down in our stands, about 5 minutes past and 2 spikes came within 10 yards and we elected to pass. About 10 minutes later a doe came down the ridge where we were sitting, she was running from gun shots we heard about 5 mins later, that were pretty close. We passed her up to, i was looking for a nice buck and dad could only get a doe and didnt want to shoot to spook the deer. About 8:00 2 monster bucks came down the ridge , at the same spot the doe did, and was about 60-70 yards away. I stood up and i noticed that one bucks rack was very wierd and decided to take the other buck instead. He came into my opening and i pulled the trigger, he whirled aroung and ran back to where he come from. As we got down the blood was scarce and we were getting worried that it wasnt a very good shot. We walked over the ridge to where he came from and he was laying there face up still alive. He finally picked us out and started to get up as i put another slug right in the spine from about 80 yards, he dropped and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I went up to him and he was even bigger than what i thought, we got it mounted and scored, and was an amazing 134 4/8. My first buck!!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Share your first time you killed your first deer.

50 years ago when I was 14. Dad put me in a tree on one corner of a squarish thicket and he circled around to the opposite corner. It was a special two day doe season, the first in my memory. A doe and her fawn broke out on the corner where my tree was and ran uphill quarterin' away. I swung ahead of the doe and fired, the fawn, half a length behind, stumbled and died there in the open, I'd hit her in the neck. I guess it taught me you needed to lead more, but didn't need a carrnon to kill deer, I was using my Granddad's .32-20.He said it was more gun than his granddad had, a .36 caliber muzzleloader. [:-]